Boston Sea Rovers Expo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris

It was very quiet on Sunday.

Saturday was pretty good. I didn't go today.

Several of the talks I went to were standing room only so the turnout was good.

Also of note, since it was a hot topic here a while back, Matt Lawrence of the Stellawagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary talked about the diving opportunities in the sanctuary. I didn't see any indication they are trying to lock divers out of the sanctuary as some people are fearing. He even gave up the GPS numbers for an unidentified wreck they just found so people could dive it and said something like "Hopefully one of you will dive this and be able to identify it." So if anything I got the impression that they are trying to reach out to divers rather than exclude them as some people feared. He said a new version of their management plan that incorporates a lot of the feedback the received from divers will be coming out in a few months.

. . .Also of note, since it was a hot topic here a while back, Matt Lawrence of the Stellawagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary talked about the diving opportunities in the sanctuary. I didn't see any indication they are trying to lock divers out of the sanctuary as some people are fearing. He even gave up the GPS numbers for an unidentified wreck they just found so people could dive it and said something like "Hopefully one of you will dive this and be able to identify it." . . .

Sure had some of us scrambling for a pen and paper!:D

And yes; it was good seeing many friends and Dive Buddies there. The night Film Festival was enjoyable, but made for a long day. Howard and Michelle Hall's talk was interesting regarding the use of the IMAX camera as well as Michael deGruy's presentation about "deep" water.

While many of the seminars were along the line of film festival pre-views, Andrea Zaferes, "The Art of Divemastering" was the type of seminar that Sea Rovers used to be known for many years ago. Not to detract from the excellent photography/film presentations, but seminars like Andrea's provide information that can help improve the enjoyment of scuba diving, and prevent accidents from happening. Although targeted for divemasters, her talk contained pertinent information for all of us. Butch and Andrea focus more on Public Safety Diving nowadays, but I was fortunate enough to take Rescue Diver training with Life Guard Systems back in the early 80s. Great experience, if a bit intense. I hope they publish more of their training material, or even better, start producing training videos.
Jim

Would have liked to cross paths with you Saturday. I guess it'll have to wait until John gets the boat in ........

Mark

Agreed. Hopefully John takes me out sometime when you are out with him. Usually John invites me when his regulars such as you aren't going so I never get to meet you.

Hope your talk when well Sunday. Sorry I missed it.

Usually John invites me when his regulars such as you aren't going.

A lot of times we sneak out during the week and we could always use someone on board familiar with handling remote sensing gear.

Hope your talk when well Sunday. Sorry I missed it.

Went well, thanks.

Agreed. Hopefully John takes me out sometime when you are out with him. Usually John invites me when his regulars such as you aren't going so I never get to meet you.

You can plan on it. Of course I think there is going to be one week in June when you are going to be a little occupied!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom