Boston Whaler boat for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB104

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I heard that Boston Whaler markets a boat specific for diving. I went to their website but found nothing specifically for diving. I am looking for a boat (18-24 ft) for diving off NJ (in-shore area) and generally like Boston Whalers. Does anybody know which model BW makes for divers? Any suggestions for similar boats?

MB104:
I heard that Boston Whaler markets a boat specific for diving. I went to their website but found nothing specifically for diving. I am looking for a boat (18-24 ft) for diving off NJ (in-shore area) and generally like Boston Whalers. Does anybody know which model BW makes for divers? Any suggestions for similar boats?

I know diddly about boats, but have been doing some of my own research lately... here's my two pennies.

The boat you're thinking of is most likely the 17-22 foot Divemaster series. Hard to find on their website now that the Commercial/Government section goes under the Brunswick name. But, here are the links for you...

17 foot Divemaster:
http://www.brunswickcgboats.com/default.asp?content=boats&boatid=52

19 foot Divemaster:
http://www.brunswickcgboats.com/default.asp?content=boats&boatid=53

22 foot Divemaster:
http://www.brunswickcgboats.com/default.asp?content=boats&boatid=52

I've heard the Divemaster series is spendy. There are other options, of course. Most are missing that nifty side door.

The Montauk 170 seems to have quite a large diver following (including several on this board... like the Pugster)

Here's a link to how one was setup, and some general info:

http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/whaler/

A Whaler Montauk sells for somewhere in the $17k-$30k range, depending on how it is purchased / outfitted, etc..

It seems like center consoles are the way to go in smaller sized dive boats.. beyond that.. there are way more experienced people on this board that can probably better answer your questions.

Hope that helps.

-Brandon.

MB104:

I just checked out the links to the Dive Master Series. BW's are great boats - no question. I personally don't like center console boats for diving. There is basically no protection from the elements. I bought a 19' Bayliner Capri (cuddy cabin model) brand new in 2000. I researched many other brands but this one had the best space engineering and was $5000 less than the rest. Each brand offered the exact same engine (Mercury 135hp I/O with Alpha 1 outdrive) and same hull/engine warranty. It did not make sense to spend more for only a name.

I was really sold by the space engineering though. The cabin is 7' long and just under 7' wide so two can comfortably sleep in the cabin. If you had one child or a pet or something all could sleep comfortable in the cabin. This boat has a stand up canvas enclosure which I leave up all the time for protection from the elements. It also comes with a canvas cover that goes all the way to the stern. I can take my boat out in pouring rain and everyone stays dry and warm. During hot days it is nice to have the shade in between dives. Alum 80's fit on the floor between the seats and the sides totally out of the way. There is also gear storage on each side of the seats (not on top of the tanks) as well as under the v-berth cushions.

Mine is equipped with all the Coast Guard mandated equipment as well as a 10' inflatable raft, tri-lens radar reflector, GPS, 3.3 hp outboard that I use as an emergency kicker and dinghy engine, etc., etc. I dive in Mass and RI (Block Island area - Bass/U853). I have been very impressed with how well the boat handles seas. I can take three divers max. There are perfect spots on each side and in front of the engine cover for a divers rig and to setup.

I can't comment on the BW's except based on reputation and the limited protections of a center console.

--Matt

Check out fiberglass lobster boats. They work. They work great. Dory style

These are not the Whalers they were promoting for diving that I saw. The 22' one I looked at has the console way forward, benches along the sides aft and the gate almost beside the console. It looked pretty good it had the head in the console. It was very expensive $120,000 or so un-powered.

Back
Top Bottom