Boston whaler Side ladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yojreilly

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone
I talked to a cop today, who used a Montauk for search and rescue. He told me there divers entered the boat on the side. Between the opening of the two rails. Said they were big guys and the boat never rolled at all.
Since I have a 360# 140 HP motor on transom, that is over weighted for my older 17' montauk . I'm thinking that the side ladder may be a better way to go.
I can weld stainless, so making the ladder is not a problem.
I just want a second opinion before I build it.
So what do you think?

You mean like this:

125-Boston_Whaler_Guardian_22_.jpg

Unlike most small boats the Whaler is essentially a glass covered foam surfboard with sides. The sides serve to keep your beer can from falling out. In fact, Whaler has produced the famous Banana Outrage that had such low sides they might as well have done away with them completely. I would, depending upon the boat, Whaler or otherwise, much prefer stern entry unless somebody gives me a "military" or "rescue" dive Whaler:

22GuardianSML.jpg

default.jpg

firerescue.jpg

People will tell you all small boats are unsinkable with level flotation (per CG regs) but how many cut a door in the side? Coca Cola was the original, you may like Pepsi better and in this case, Whaler is the "Real" thing. LOL.

N

PM [user]nemrod[/user] (or he might reply)

he's got a 19' whaler... Montauk I think.

he's got pics of his online and his ladder.

Our little Whaler is an Outrage, not no stink'n low end Montauk :eyebrow:.

N

People will tell you all small boats are unsinkable with level flotation (per CG regs) but how many cut a door in the side? Coca Cola was the original, you may like Pepsi better and in this case, Whaler is the "Real" thing. LOL.

N

why not just cut off the front and mount a remove able ladder up there? :idk:

chainSawWhaler585x389.jpeg

EDIT:

here is the pic that SW is whining about

chainSawWhaler585x389.jpg

I don't really care what CW wants.

I have tried to keep photos here on SB and it just does not work. I like linking to photobucket, sorry, that is the way I do it.

If it is on the net, it is free to use, I think we need an ammendment to that effect.

N

I just moved the photo to PB and edited it.

Yeah... CW likes their pics to be in Google so you will click on them... but they whine if someone actually tries to use them. In this case it's prob not even their pic they have posted on their website.

Hey Numrod
I heard you say, you weren't one of those stuck up Boston whaler types.
Goes to show, you can't trust anyone these days.
Well hope my stink'n Montauk, hasn't embarrassed you to badly.

Mike that is a good idea, for a dive door. I think I'll improve on it by cutting a 4 foot hole in center of deck. ------------Reilly

Hey Numrod
I heard you say, you weren't one of those stuck up Boston whaler types.
Goes to show, you can't trust anyone these days.
Well hope my stink'n Montauk, hasn't embarrassed you to badly.

Mike that is a good idea, for a dive door. I think I'll improve on it by cutting a 4 foot hole in center of deck. ------------Reilly

Learn to take a joke dude, I had a Montauk before, :rofl3: and when I get a Conquest I will not want some little stink'n Outrage. :crafty:

You guys get to serious and then resort to name calling way to easy :wink:.

To be more specific, the older Montauk will roll when you are hung from the side. I did not say roll over but it will definitely roll to that side with a heavy diver on it. Now, the newer Montauk with the V hull and wider beam, cannot say.

Our current boat, we board on the right stern and it certainly squats down a bit when we climb the ladder in gear. I would endeavor to find a way to board over the stern as preferrable, the gunwale as a last resort.

If you cut the front off, you are on your on, don't know how that will work for you, could be a bit wet but might be worth the looks.

N

If your going to cut off the front, why not build a ramp like a WWII landing craft?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom