Boston whaler Side ladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK well, I guess we don't appreciate each others humor.
Thanks Nemrod for pic and input
Mike, that is a good joke, about cutting off the bow.
No I would never cut a 4' hole in my boat.
My original post was about . Is there anyone out there who does enter boat from the gunwale.
-----------------All the best---Reilly

OK well, I guess we don't appreciate each others humor.
Thanks Nemrod for pic and input
My original post was about . Is there anyone out there who does enter boat from the gunwale.
-----------------All the best---Reilly

I am a Montauk lover, the orginal Montauk and today's version as well are one of the best small boats ever made, those hulls are the definition of a Boston Whaler :D.

You should get with Mr. Chick Tribolet, he is a Montauk expert as well as a scuba expert, he is here on scubaboard, I am sure he will drop by and offer you his thoughts:

Chuck Tribolet's Boston Whaler Dive Boat

Like I said, we had one back in the 80s. Yes, if you must, you can enter over the side. Back then I could reach up and pull myself in, I could not do that now, seriously much fatter and weaker--no---don't misunderstand me again, me, not the boat.

Side ladders just really don't work well but I could be wrong. We came over the stern on a telescoping ladder. Try gunwale entry and see if it works but please don't damage your boat until you are sure it will work for you.

You mean like this:

clip_image002.jpg

slide122.jpg

outdoors.jpg

Good luck. N

while I was joking about cutting off the front of your whaler.... Boston Whaler ACTUALLY did that and made it an exhibit they took to boat shows.

They'd have it on show floor, then they'd launch it and drive it around, at regular cruising speed also, to prove that it was "unsinkable"

not too man other brands that can do that....

%5Cboat_graphics%5Cnwp_images%5C185715-7.jpg

safeboats.jpg

They even cut on in half for a TV commercial....

[youtubehq]zSOP6TmgaWA[/youtubehq]

Well we seem not to get each others humor.
Nemrod thanks for pic's, and your thoughts on subject.
Mike that was a good joke, about cutting off bow.( That was a joke was it not?)
No I'd never cut a 4' hole in my boat. ( This was a joke.)
Back to why I posted in the first place.
Has anyone actually personally used a ladder on the gunwale on a montauk?
------------All the best --------Reilly:

Your 360# motor isn't much heavier than my 90HP.

That dive door in the side has to be done when the hull is built.

Side ladders take up a lot of space in the boat when underway.

You need to do the research as to whether your hull has the wood in the transom to mount a
swim step. The earliest hulls did not. Check on continuouswave.com.

I remember an issue of Skin Diver back in the '60s that had an article and picture on the cover of a Century boat that had a drop ramp on the front for scuba divers just like the military landing crafts. Never saw one in person and can't find any info about them but definitely remember the article. It was about 18' long. We had a Century at the time and that is why it always stuck in my memory.

Jummpping off theBack feet first is usually the best way, Especially if the boat is moving fairly fast.

I have gone off the flybridge a few time while underway and at anchor

Have never jumpped off the bow as that just seems like bad MoJo.

Used to know a guy that dove out of Cape Ann and he bolted up some 2x4s into a lader on the side of his 18 ft boat.

Kinda wierd but it worked.

hochbett_04_30_vs18130.jpeg

Your 360# motor isn't much heavier than my 90HP.

That dive door in the side has to be done when the hull is built.

Side ladders take up a lot of space in the boat when underway.

You need to do the research as to whether your hull has the wood in the transom to mount a
swim step. The earliest hulls did not. Check on continuouswave.com.

No the tuna door can be cut in any time you have got to have the right boat for it, I have seen some awesome doors cut in after they where built, and some very bad jobs done.

After stripping off the weights and BC, a gunwale entry into the boat is easy. I've done it in RIB's, 13' Whalers, Montauks, even Outrages. I usually keep a clip on a line in the water to attach the BC to so it doesn't float away, then you're just a free-diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom