BOV + mav

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moerae

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm planning to get a divesoft BOV for my JJ, and would like to hear people's thoughts on the different BOV configurations (BOV vs BOV + mav). How do you route hoses? What do you use for connections? How do you configure for offboard dil? Any subtle or unintuitive advantages or disadvantages? Discussion around the tradeoffs of the stock mav vs the BOV mav would be helpful.

I can think through different configurations myself, but am looking for the kind of observations and tradeoffs that might not be obvious without actually diving it.

In some older threads (2018) I saw some mentions of leaky mavs, is this still an issue?

I think having the MAVs on the BOV is great. I’ve had no issues with leaking or stuck MAVs.

Awesome! What do you like about it, @tomfcrist?
Well if you are running a BOV, you’ve got a hose running on that side of the loop anyways. Might as well add the O2 hose on the the side and move the MAVs to the BOV. No longer have any MAVs on my chest, thus an empty chest clear of bullcrap.

I’m not impressed with the ADV, but I haven’t tried tuning it yet…I’m perfectly content diving with it off.

I have both Shrimp and Divesoft BOV for my JJ. I bought my Divesoft with MAVs but didn’t like it, so I took them off. I use a LP hose with QC6 on one end to connect offboard bailouts. Divesoft has an adapter that you can use one LP hose to feed both Dil MAV and BOV if you choose BOV+MAV, basically making it offboard dilout.

Thanks @divingx! What didn't you like about it?
I feel the MAVs on JJ are much easier to use by either hands. I did shorten the hoses so that they’re not dangling. I don’t have the leaking issue myself but my friends do. They bought them few years before I did. Maybe Divesoft has fixed it on the newer model.

Worth making sure you can get the BOV serviced easily or get the parts to do it yourself. The people I’ve asked about servicing mine here in the uk have been slow responding so I’m trying to source o rings to do it myself

Back
Top Bottom