BP Oil Disaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This article is in regards to a meeting and argument about this happening that occurred before the explosion.

from After long argument, BP official made fatal decision on drilling rig - Politics AP - MiamiHerald.com

After long argument, BP official made fatal decision on drilling rig
By ERIKA BOLSTAD, JOSEPH GOODMAN AND MARISA TAYLOR
McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON -- Company executives and top drill hands on the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig argued for hours about how to proceed before a BP official made the decision to remove heavy drilling fluid from the well and replace it with lighter weight seawater that was unable to prevent gas from surging to the surface and exploding.

One employee was so mad, the rig's chief mechanic Doug Brown testified, that he warned they'd be relying on the rig's blowout preventer if they proceeded the way BP wanted.

"He pretty much grumbled, 'Well, I guess that's what we have those pinchers for,' " Brown said of Jimmy Harrell, the top Transocean official on the rig. "Pinchers" was likely a reference to the shear rams in the blowout preventers, the final means of stopping an explosion.

Brown said in sworn testimony on Wednesday that the BP official stood up during the meeting and said, "This is how it's going to be."

It was the kind of power struggle that's common on all offshore rigs, but the fight on the Deepwater Horizon had deadly consequences, employees and experts testified Wednesday at a government inquiry in Louisiana.

Tuesday night, a House of Representatives committee released a memo outlining some of those decisions, saying that the crew of the Deepwater Horizon had a number of warning signs extending over five hours that conditions were worsening deep underwater before the oil rig exploded in the Gulf on April 20.

Their memo, based on a briefing by BP's own investigators, provided fresh information about the failures on the ill-fated rig. However, the oil company's own inquiry continues to skirt a central question that may emerge in the Louisiana hearings being conducted by the U.S. Coast Guard and the Minerals Management Service: Why were so many warnings ignored and why did BP move forward with removing the drilling mud?

In its briefing to congressional committees, BP said that crews noticed unusual pressure and fluid readings that should have alerted them not to remove heavy drilling lubricants known as "mud" from the well - a move that apparently allowed a sudden upwelling of gas that led to the explosion and sinking of the rig about 50 miles from the Louisiana coast.

"That's something you learn at well-control school," said Carl Smith, a former U.S. Coast Guard captain and expert witness. "If you're circulating fluid, you need to monitor how much is going in and how much is coming out. If you got more fluid out than in, it's an indicator that something's going on."

Does this action affect their permission or ability to drill at this location again?

They are already drilling in this location again. (the "relief well").

I believe the purpose of the relief well is to take all pressure off the existing wellhead. They drill down and "intersect" the existing well some depth below the existing well head.

How does this affect future wells? currently there is a moratorium on drilling new wells in the gulf. this was just extended today.

Obama Extends Moratorium as MMS Chief Steps Down (Update1)

Obama Extends Moratorium as MMS Chief Steps Down (Update1)

May 27 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama will cancel a plan to drill for oil off Virginia's coast and extend for six months a moratorium on new deepwater drilling permits, as the head of agency responsible for issuing the permits stepped down.

In addition, planned drilling by Royal Dutch Shell Plc of exploratory wells in the Arctic off Alaska will be delayed while a presidential commission studies the Gulf of Mexico oil spill in an effort to determine how to prevent any future disasters, according an administration aide, who spoke on condition of anonymity in advance of the official announcement.

In the wake of criticism of the government's oversight of energy exploration on public lands, the head of the Minerals Management Service, Elizabeth Birnbaum, has submitted her resignation from the post she's held since last July, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said.

The changes in drilling policy are the result of a 30-day safety review on offshore drilling the president ordered from Salazar following the explosion and fire aboard a drilling rig leased by BP Plc that resulted in a massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Salazar briefed Obama and senior White House advisers last night.

Obama is scheduled to discuss the report and the government's response to the Gulf oil spill at 12:45 p.m. today at the White House.

Tougher Oversight

Obama will announce plans to toughen oversight of the oil industry even while the presidential panel continues to investigate the spill, the White House aide said.

The lease sale off the Virginia coast is being canceled because of environmental concerns and objections raised by the Defense Department, the aide said.

"We are disappointed that he would cancel it," Paul Cicio, president of the Industrial Energy Consumers of America, a group of energy users such as chemical manufacturers that has lobbied for more offshore drilling, said in a telephone interview.

California Representative Lois Capps, a Democrat who represents Santa Barbara, site of a massive spill in 1969, hailed Obama's decision.

'Broken' System

"I applaud the president's decision to call for an extended timeout on new deepwater drilling activities around the country," she said in a statement. "It's as plain as the nose on your face that the current system for regulating offshore oil activities is broken."

Obama's decision signals that two decades of "pro-drilling sentiment appears to have reached its turning point," Kevin Book, a managing director at ClearView Energy Partners LLC, a Washington-based policy analysis firm, said today in a note to investors.

Birnbaum is the first ranking government official to lose her job over the spill. Obama, in remarks made May 15, vowed to end the "cozy relationship" between the MMS and the oil and gas industry.

David Axelrod, senior adviser to Obama, said yesterday in an interview that the MMS was guilty of "appalling" conduct and the agency itself "needs a top kill of its own."

Salazar told a congressional committee today that Birnbaum resigned of her own volition. "She's a good public servant," he said.

Birnbaum's Statement

"It's been a great privilege to serve as director of the MMS," Birnbaum said in a statement released by the Interior Department.

"I'm hopeful that the reforms that the secretary and the administration are undertaking will resolve the flaws in the current system that I inherited," she said.

Nick Rahall of West Virginia, who chairs the House Natural Resources Committee, said Birnbaum's departure "might on the surface be a good start, but it must not be the end-game in our efforts to get at the root cause of the problem at MMS."

BP's latest efforts to plug a leaking well that's been spewing oil into the gulf for more than a month continued overnight and so far "we are proceeding to plan," Chief Executive Officer Tony Hayward said in an e-mailed transcript of remarks he made in Houston yesterday.

BP began pumping mud-like drilling fluid into the well at 2 p.m. New York time yesterday in a procedure known as a "top kill" that Hayward said would take at least 24 hours to work.

Coast Guard Commandant Thad Allen said the operation has temporarily stopped the flow of oil from the damaged well, the London-based company said today in a statement.

The president's latest actions come as he's under mounting pressure, including from Democratic allies, to take more forceful actions to combat the unfolding disaster.

In a USA TODAY/Gallup poll published today, six out of 10 respondents said the federal government was doing a "poor" or "very poor" job handling the spill.

--With assistance from Roger Runningen and Jim Snyder in Washington and Jim Efstathiou Jr. in New York. Editors: Joe Sobczyk, Robin Meszoly

Read more: Obama Extends Moratorium as MMS Chief Steps Down (Update1)

I listened to the president's speech earlier today and with headway made to stem and possibly stop the torrent he has announced that the administration has been in total control of all operations all along including mandating that BP drill two relief holes instead of one. Has he no shame? :shakehead:

Just a thought: Why hasn't anyone asked why the blowout preventer failed? Would not the manufacturer or people responsible for the maintenance of this valve be held accountable? Why could they not get the valve to close? Just asking.

Just a thought: Why hasn't anyone asked why the blowout preventer failed? Would not the manufacturer or people responsible for the maintenance of this valve be held accountable? Why could they not get the valve to close? Just asking.

I saw some media reports on this several weeks ago. The battery failed that was supposed to power the valve is what they think, but I don't know if that's 100% certain or not.

They apparently haven't been testing it is my guess.

I've learned in another media report that they are supposed to test it every two weeks. I'm not sure if that's been done or not.

I saw some media reports on this several weeks ago. The battery failed that was supposed to power the valve is what they think, but I don't know if that's 100% certain or not.

They apparently haven't been testing it is my guess.

I've learned in another media report that they are supposed to test it every two weeks. I'm not sure if that's been done or not.

So they could have stopped this whole mess simply by jump-starting the valve? Somehow, I think there must be more to the story.:wink:

So they could have stopped this whole mess simply by jump-starting the valve? Somehow, I think there must be more to the story.:wink:

well try tried to manually close the valve, but I'm not sure exactly what method that involves....

but we did made some comments to send down a ROV with a battery and a set of jumper cables.

One of the first threads on the subject linked an industry forum which spoke of evidence of modifications done to the BOP.

You know my politics but if evidence surfaces of corruption on this matter I am for prosecution of all those involved including the former VP if so implicated...

It isnt as simple as a jump start, it requires removal of the control pod, taking it to the surface, repair, and reinstallation. That is what they recently did before the "top kill" began.

The offloading of the backside with sea water is similar to standing on an active railroad track and ignoring the train horn. Using a BOP that hadnt been tested and had known issues, is like still standing on the RR track and putting a helmet on. :no:

The BOP should have never been in the control plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom