BP/W inflator hose- miflex or standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO braided hoses don't work well for 7' hoses...the "braid" is abrasive on the neck seal when you hog wrap the hose.

Hmm... I can't imagine we're talking about the same braided hoses. Or the same rubber hoses.

Miflex-XSSQDH.jpg

Without pressure, yes. With pressure on, I don't think you can do that. I kind of think I can do similar with rubber too. Also, rubber is more flexible in the twist direction

I like braided hoses for travel and single tank diving with wetsuit. I've had a mixture of mostly MiFlex (Euro made) and the DGX Kevlar Braid (Taiwan I believe).
My current HP hose is a MiFlex 2 which is 24" w/very small diameter.
LPI is a DGX braid for the 12" corrugated hose I'm trying on my warm water travel BPW.
LP hoses are one each of MiFlex and DGX. Both are good quality.

I feel better having a Euro-made HP hose but I'm happy with the quality of the Taiwanese LP hoses and fittings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am in the minority on the braided hose thing, I actually like it for a 7' hose. I do not use the DRIS hoses rather than the Miflex branded hose, maybe that is the difference. I don't find it floaty at all.

I just replaced a 7' miflex with a rubber hose. I discovered in cave class that the miflex hose is easy to kink and cut off the gas supply if you pull it. That is, it will kink near where the hose meets the connector on the tank side during air sharing.

Honestly when the guy sharing my air complained I thought he was full of it. However it's easy to test and confirm.. connected my reg to a tank on land and pulled the hose at an odd angle from the first stage while breathing from it. Very easy to get it to kink. You might want to consider going with a rubber hose for the long one.

Just a suggestion, maybe the air share scenario doesn't play out exactly the same in non cave tech diving.

Also I found I actually preferred the stiffness of the rubber hoses when taming the thing on my tank (sidemount config).

I've also never noticed my miflex hoses to be floaty. My miflex hoses are far far more flexible than the rubber hoses I have. Both pressurized and unpressurized. Maybe elenoraa has an unusually stiff miflex style hose or an unusually soft rubber hose?

Miflex on everything for me, especially short rebreather hoses with some odd bends. I use a 7' miflex hose too but am going to swap it for rubber for my next cave trip which is the only time I dive backmounted doubles any more. The miflex can be a bit hard to tame and is also a bit scratchy on the neck. My open circuit single rig spends most of its time jammed under ledges chasing crayfish and the braids do start to fray, catch weed and algae and certainly don't look new anymore. I am as anal an anyone about gear cleaning but I just hose them down, I burn any long frayed ends with a lighter sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom