Brand new Central California Diver....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shirley

New
Reaction score
Brand new Central California Diver....O/W certification is within my grasp. I want to know where you can dive safely on the Cal. coast CHEAP. My instructor's "overnight trips" are several hundred each trip. I want to go often and at those prices I won't be able to. I know there has to be safe shore dives in California somewhere. Any suggestions? I appreciate your input.
Shirley :bic:

Shirley,
I'm not sure which thing you're emphasizing - safe or cheap. How "safe" the shore diving is in CA depends on your experience level and if you're new, you're advised to dive with a buddy who's got a little knowledge of the dive sites your diving.

As for "cheap", it depends on where you live in central CA. I can do beach dives in Monterey with a stay in a motel and gas, fills, and food for about $130. Add a charter and it's still less than $200 because they feed me and fill me. :wink:

-Bill

Depending on where you are located there are a few lakes like millerton, kaweah, etc. As for the ocean, monterey is about 2.5hrs from me and offers great shore diving and boat diving. Morro bay is about 1.5 hrs away and offers some ok diving in the bay and spooners cove at montana de oro can be a cool dive on a good day which doesnt seem to often for some reason. Leffingwell landing in cambria is a good kayak dive spot although i havent dove there in a few years since i sold my kayak like a dummy :D

Don't know exactly where you are which makes it hard to help. If you fill out your profile with a bit more information, then we can put you into context so to speak.

From your Lake Millerton comment, it would appear you are in the FRESNO area, or only about a 150 mile drive from the fabulous diving in Monterey. Beach diving is both fun and inexpensive. Monterey hotels are not inexpensive however. But still there is some great diving in the area. Beach diving, great fun, and not too expensive.

Now about safe, like anything in diving it can be dangerous depending location, day and conditions. What may be a safe location at 8:00 a.m. on Monday may be deadly at 9:30 a.m. Monday. So you have to learn how to read conditions, check forecast and know how to handle "interesting" situations when they develop. Monterey's Monastery Beach for example. Great place to dive, but potentially dangerous if you dive at the wrong place or time or try to walk out instead of crawl out. There is a reason the Monestery Crawl was invented. Hook up with the folks in the NoCAL section (Monterey is more closely aligned there) and have fun. Dive with someone who has been to the site more than once and has lots of beach diving experience.

Good luck to you and good diving.

Back
Top Bottom