Brand New tank HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattWilliams

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
IF i buy a brand new Faber tank and take it into get filled is it right to go? or does it need to be checked or hydro-ed before diving?
Cheers!

It will need a visual inspection sticker on it--if you buy it from your LDS it will have one of his, if it comes from an online store, it might or might not(and your LDS might or might not honor it).

The tank SHOULD be clean and ready to go but things can get in it between the factory and you. The local dive shop should include a visual inspection and a sticker. I did have one LDS which wanted $20 more per tank for a visual inspection sticker. They went out of business. Make sure the LDS is going to put a current visual inspection sticker on the tank as part of the price.

The tank should have been hydro'd and will have the stamp on the shoulder.

The tank SHOULD be clean and ready to go but things can get in it between the factory and you. The local dive shop should include a visual inspection and a sticker. I did have one LDS which wanted $20 more per tank for a visual inspection sticker. They went out of business. Make sure the LDS is going to put a current visual inspection sticker on the tank as part of the price.

The tank should have been hydro'd and will have the stamp on the shoulder.

Agreed

Hydro then Visual....

Hydro: The supply chain works hard to keep hydros fairly current. The odds of it being 5 years past the factory test date are nill unless you got a deal too good to be true.

VIP: Begins with how it was shipped. If you get it with the valve and a holding pressure along with a factory or seller VIP that is current then any shop should fill it.

If it arrives with zero PSI then it's the shops call. If they are good eggs and you have not pissed them off they will take it as new and fill it. If they are princes they will remove the valve look inside and confirm it's tidy in there. Dead critters and other surprises have been found. If they are not in such a good mood they are entitled to perform a Visual and charge accordingly. The fill is certainly on you so be sure to account for that if it's part of their Visual fee. I think I pay $18 for a Visual with fill. Single fills are $7 so it's really $11 for the visual.

You should account for this when making the decision to order from away.

Pete

Last edited:
I have bought a bunch of Faber tanks, and one thing I have noticed is common to every single one of them...the valve has no lube at all on on the threads, and IMO it should (but not too much, and use the right stuff). Some people don't think it's needed, but I prefer it. Silicone grease is fine as long as you won't be exposing it to O2 percentages above EANx40.

I also lubricate/prep the o-ring.

Hydro then Visual....

Hydro: The supply chain works hard to keep hydros fairly current. The odds of it being 5 years past the factory test date are nill unless you got a deal too good to be true.

Unfortunately, tanks in Australia must have a hydro every year.

AS stated they SHOULD be good to go. However I'd say it's a good idea to get a VIP on it anyway. There was a thread not long ago where the poster took a new tank in for a VIP and when the valve was removed they found the packing list inside the tank. I want to say that the tank came with a VIP sticker on it, but I'd have to dig up the thread and confirm it. For me, the peace of mind would be worth $20.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom