brand spanking new 5050 ... with a problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a set amount of "acceptable" dead pixels. Once you're past that, the warranty/replacement kicks in. So, I suggest you count up how many you have, and see if you qualify for an exchange of some sort. A couple may not be enough, but three right out of the box is unacceptable.

As for when and why they occur, no one really knows. You could have just your few for the remainder of your camera's life, or tomorrow you could get two more. At least that's what I've been told, and it's how computer monitors work. I imagine the technology is the same, albeit smaller.

Note that it's just the display that's affected. Your pictures will be fine.

Yup
Dead pixels are kinda like rat hair in hot dogs. Nobody wants any, but every manufacterer has thier "acceptable allowance" and sometimes position of the defect has some weight as well. I've had both good and bad experiences with setting up computer labs with LCD screens.

Glad your retailer stepped up to the plate for you...I haven't always been so lucky..

JAG

Hang on.....

Pixels can be dead, stuck, or hot. Dead is black. Stuck is stuck on, maybe full on, maybe partway. Hot is overactive and shows up bright on longer exposures.

http://www.nikon.com.sg/TechSupp/KB/TOPFAQ/DeadHotRandom.htm

the bad pixels can be on the ccd or on the screen. I've had both. If they are on the CCD, and bad enough, you will see them on the screen. Mostly they only show up when you see pix on a computer, they are pretty small, but if they are bright enough, the screen will show them. And on the 5050, you can usually fix them with a menu remap command. Perhaps that's only hot pixels.

But anyway, good that you saw the problem right away and sent it in, wherever it was.

eab:
My friends joke that I'm Amish -- no dvd player, still using analog cable, my tv is about 15 years old, etc.

Don't feel alone. The only DVD in our house is the one that came on my computer, our B&W color TV is almost 30 years old, the color one is about 15. We do have hi-speed cable but that's for the internet, more than the TV.

Just tell your friends that you are refreshingly nostalgic!

My three guys were bright red. Is that how dead ones appear?

I tried the menu remap command without success. Figured that was easier than a return ship, and probably would be handy knowledge in the future. I suppose if I had it for a while and that happened, I would have just lived with it. But somehow I'm strange in that I think things should work when they're fresh from the box. Of course if the replacement arrives with FOUR, I'll be wishing for those three again!

Dee:
Just tell your friends that you are refreshingly nostalgic!

I'll try that. Thanks!

Dee:
...our B&W color TV is almost 30 years old, the color one is about 15. QUOTE]

Hey Dee
You'd better hold on tp those sets. They might be worth some money as collector's items!

JAG

Back
Top Bottom