Brand Spanking New Speargun Hunter Looking for Basic Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad:

Thanks for the recommendation.

The two best sources I know are:
1. Spearboard: Both Chad and I have been on there for many years and we agree that is probably the best source of spearfishing information anywhere, period. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We will be happy to help you with any questions you have. My name on Spearboard is (surprise) OceanEd and I will be happy to help you.

2. ScubaWorks dive shop in Jupiter. I am the head instructor there and would be happy to talk to you at any time. The shop spearfishing team is the #1 spearfishing team in Florida at the moment, so we have a bit of knowledge. Also, we give a monthly free seminar on different aspects of underwater hunting. Our next one will be January 19th and will be on hunting with pole spears.

Let me know if we can help you. Also, talk to Chad Carney. he is an absolute encyclopedia of hunting information and skill.

My best advice is lose the scuba tanks

1.Develop a thick skin
2.Realize that coneheads may kill you
3.Develop lifelong friendships with folks who spearfish
4.Have an open mind,what works for 1 guy may not for you
5.Have fun,the guys who are too serious usually aren't that good and are certainly no fun to be around.

There are guys here,spearboard,spearfishingplanet,deeperblue,florida sportsman and you can always find some at bait shops,dive shops and boat ramps.

I would read "Underwater Hunting" first, then go to Spearboard and Spearfishing Planet and read all the old threads from back to front. There is a lot of good info there.

Try to search on this site and those to answer basic questions. Then ask any additional questions in your local sections. Try to hook up with some local guys when they have open spots, even if you have your own boat. I've learned a ton just watching some of the pros underwater.

Then practice, practice, practice. And be safe.

2 most important things IMO:

1- Always load and unload spearguns in the water. No loaded guns on the boat.

2- Never aim a speargun at anybody, in or our of the water. (don't trust a safety or any trigger).

Charlie

I recommend hooking up with some really experienced guys, like OceanEd's shop and the other's mentioned. I started seriously spearfishing about 6 years ago and it's been a long learning process. Spearboard and here helped a lot regarding gear etc, but still, it was just me most of the time in the water learning how to hunt the fish....and they're all different. But I had the opportunity to go out this last Sunday with one of the old time spearos here. His family owns a resort at Glover's Atholl. I learned a lot from him. It was great.
He's also a dentist..and makes his own guns...what is with with really good spearos and dentists? Like that one in Hawaii...Dr Wong... who makes really nice guns...haha.

I'm not a great rod and reel fisherman. But in an hour under water I can spear all the fish I want usually. I find it easier and more interactive than rod and reel.

Well, I've been fishing for over 40 years and consider myself reasonably adept at it. Yet my first day spearfishing I took a blackfish that outweighed any I caught on hook & line in 40 years. The best part is picking and choosing your fish.

There is a lot of excess testosterone in the sport of spearfishing. It is my experience these types are inexperienced and just haven't had a lot close calls - yet. I have had a ton. Beware the yahoo types who show no caution or plan for risk, or would never cancel a dive if conditions were unsafe. Avoid 'em. Perhaps the best book overall about spearing is the one by Terry Maas, "Blue Water Hunting and Freediving." The guy knows it all. World record holder, camera guy on the series "Speargun Hunter" on the Outdoor Channel, bla bla. Tops. He lost his 19 year old son to shallow water black out; when he was younger he lost a good friend to the Man in the Grey Suit. Don't let anyone tell you it is not a dangerous sport. Anyone that says that is a b.s.- ing no nothing. Terry's book is in a class by itself. I have read every book every published on the subject, about 10 or so, and Terry's is the "if you just read one, read this one" category. I am older than a dinosaur (in my 50's), but started diving at 14. There is so much spearing over your way that the bull sharks have been trained to respond to the sound of a speargun going off like Pavlov's dog's salivate at the sound of a bell. It will bring em running if they are in the area. Here are some things you must think about and be prepared to deal with:
an injured fish shaking on the end of spear attracts sharks and cudas. subdue the fish and get it out of the water as quickly as possible. use an ice pick or a dagger style knife and pith his brain.

here are some more tips: if there is already a cuda or shark in the vicinity, you will not likely get a speared fish to the boat. so don't spear.
bull sharks are territorial as Hell. there are many incidents of a bull hitting a spearo after he sticks a fish, instead of going for the fish. avoid bulls always, no exceptions.
after you spear a fish, get it out of the water and move at least 1/2 mile to new spot. u can always come back to first spot later after waiting a while. GPS makes this so easy now.
use a wingman - a buddy who is watching you while you spear - someone above on surface if freediving. alternate one up one getting ready to descend.
if you spear a bigun', have a gun set up with a breakaway rig so spear is hooked to a float. fish gets tired pulling float, you follow float.
get a good gun and practice. every shot can't be a stone shot, but you should try for it.
have extra shafts handy. a Wong will set you back at least a grand. good guns shoot straighter.
a sit on top kayak is great because you can rest, avoid long swims, and get out of the water if the man in the striped suit shows up. they are much more visible from the surface.
boats are one of your biggest risks. every year boats kill or seriously injure several divers in Florida - probably 3 to 6 per year. way more dangerous than sharks.
ain't no fish worth risking your life for. forget pride. it is all just stuff and can be replaced. don't be afraid to let go and bail if situation makes you uncomfortable.
every year or so right here in your back yard a world class spearo, multiple world record holder, expert free diver ( and nice and attractive, and probably a friggin genius too), named Sheri Daye puts on a 2 day conference dedicated solely to the sport of spearfishing - the Blue Wild. You can google it. All the worlds experts descend upon this place, like Terry Maas and Daryl Wong. if you have to sell the house, the farm, the kids and the wife, don't miss it. if you go to the right talks and ask questions and listen, you will learn a ton of stuff.
I live in Sarasota, but used to get wet over your way when I lived over there. I have only recently added kayaks to my diving, and I have 2 teenage sons who join me (sometimes). I'm planning on doing a little more on your coast this summer. have a sweet lil trailer all set up for yaks and gear.
been doing this a long time, and this advice is based on what I have learned over decades.
I have a Daryl Wong 55 inch hybrid, and Wong 42 hybrid, a PosiedonSub 55 inch all wood track gun (my laser guided missle launcher and my fav), and an AB Biller 42. I also have a powerhead for the tip I keep for special guests who want to invite me to their dinner table.
stay safe, and remember it's just a friggin' fish, not the Treasure of the Atocha. will in sarasota

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom