Branford Dive Center - Gone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

handben

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just returned from a trip to the cave country. After talking up Branford Dive Center as the Mecca of cave diving and getting my kids all excited to visit the epicenter of this community, I crossed the Suwannee river coming from the west and pulled over the right after the bridge. I pulled into the parking lot and found an empty expanse of concrete.

What a disappointment I must say. I have fond memories of that great dive shop from the early 80s through early 90s (my last time down there). I wanted to share this with my kids who are now both open water certified. I was told by a local that it shut down some 11 years ago. I reckon it must have been flooded again by the river. Anyone know for sure what happened to that place?

Probably didn't get as much business with great shops like Dive Outpost and Cave Excursions within the general vicinity and Cave Excursions East a little further down.

I just returned from a trip to the cave country. After talking up Branford Dive Center as the Mecca of cave diving and getting my kids all excited to visit the epicenter of this community, I crossed the Suwannee river coming from the west and pulled over the right after the bridge. I pulled into the parking lot and found an empty expanse of concrete.

What a disappointment I must say. I have fond memories of that great dive shop from the early 80s through early 90s (my last time down there). I wanted to share this with my kids who are now both open water certified. I was told by a local that it shut down some 11 years ago. I reckon it must have been flooded again by the river. Anyone know for sure what happened to that place?

You are right this location is gone,and in its own rights it was a Mecca (Wes Skiles and Lamar Hires got their start there). I always used to stop there to top my steel 72 deco bottle before doing air dives at Little River. The weight of that full 72 was important to keep you anchored,because back then Little River had very strong flow,and deco was very difficult. Branford,the Spring Diving Capital of the World doesn't exist like it used to with Steamboat and Branford Diver Center gone.

I'd suggest taking your kids to one of the new cave diver mecca's next time, Dive Outpost in Luraville or Amigo's in Ft. White, for some good ole 'round the campfire dive talk and, of course, some smores. The cave diving museum at Cave Excursions East, just outside of Ginny, is also a must see. Funny, I was there about a week ago and one of my cave instructors noticed that the 'antique' dive computer he'd just dove with was identical to one of the museum displays...

Dave

Besides , us crazy locals are still diving Ginnie , Manatee , Little River , Peacock , Cow etc ... :D
Cave country is STILL kickin after all these years :D

And all of the shops are BUSY , BUSY , BUSY right now...
Even with the recession.

Beano :D

Amazing how much things have changed. Ginnie's shop was half the size of what it is now,and it had all the best equipment from Underwater Connections,AUL,Dive Rite etc that would make you drool;plus everybody behind the cash register was a cave instructor. Branford had two shops,Steamboat,and Branford Dive Center. Steamboat for awhile experimented with the "chill fills",which resulted in a lot of blown burst discs during summer days at Little River. There was no Dive Outpost,but at the same location you had Springs Systems. Nitrox was something that you made yourself,and you visited fiends who kept oxygen cylinders in their backyard.

I think in our minds Mecca went up the Suwannee about 10 miles or so from Branford to Luraville. We quickly found the Dive Outposts convenient to our cabin at River Rendezvous. It was such a striking contrast to be in such a small rural area but to meet so many folks from all over the globe. We met divers from Russia, Finland, Iceland, England and of course the US all around the Peacock area.

For my brother and I it was sort of a heaven on earth scenario. We went for a cavern dive at Peacock and left the kids asleep in the cabin. We decided to top off our tanks before the dive with nitrox. That was the best $2 I ever spent in diving.

I think before the Brandon Data Center, the dive shop was called Dale Stone's Aqua Shack? I used to fill my 72s there from 1968 into the early '70s.

Is Steamboat dive shop still across the street or has Dustin closed it too?

I think before the Brandon Data Center, the dive shop was called Dale Stone's Aqua Shack? I used to fill my 72s there from 1968 into the early '70s.

What do you mean, Brandon Data Center? I dont think I have heard this reference in regards to my fathers dive center before.:headscratch:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom