• brass

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • stainless steel

Votes: 79 78.2%
  • other

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a guy on EBay that sells SS bolt snaps for a great price. He sells them in lots of 15 for about $2.00 each. They are high quality and so far I've pretty much converted all of my brass to SS.

Ty

They are high quality and so far I've pretty much converted all of my brass to SS.

I've got one brass holdout on my goodman handle. Thanks for the tip, Ty. I will look that guy up when I get around to changing it and replace some of my other ones that haven't been as lovingly cared for as Rick's.

Makes me wonder what other pieces of kit I am tearing up on a regular basis :)

first of all thanks for all the feedbacks.
I wanted to share with you the tip that I found out. I lube the brass bolts (both those from reel and the ones for deco bottles) with the super lube... it looks like some silicon based lubricant. I use that also for all my tools. It is great, it is covered, so no rust and it moves VERY smoothly.

in 2 hours, I am going for a weekend to Eilat...

happy diving to everyone,
sasha

The general consensus here is SS over brass. Can a few of you give reasons besides the oxidation that brass shows if proper maintenance is not done. Is there another reason that I don't know about?

Dectek once bubbled...
The general consensus here is SS over brass. Can a few of you give reasons besides the oxidation that brass shows if proper maintenance is not done. Is there another reason that I don't know about?

Brass is typically cast and the "joints" where the cast was can actually be quite sharp right out of the gate. SS tends to be smooth all round. Very often the Brass clips use really cheap non-stainless springs which can rust out very quickly. The oxidation of the brass can make for a stiff movement. The last two criticisms can be overcome with good post dive maintenance. The first one takes some work. For the most part the SS bolts are less maintenance. I'm sure there are some other reasons but these are the ones I know of.

Brian

Brass is what is available at the local (inland) Lowe's. Select those that don't cut or get the sandpaper out. Surpriseingly most have SS springs. If not I swap out to SS, eliminating that problem.

Cuts down on the cost of an OOPS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom