Breaking in a new wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally it's only the very first dive that's a problem for me with a brand-new wetsuit. I have to take a little bit more weight just to get off the surface on that first dive, and I've always had the impression that it's a question of some finishing compound that the material is treated with which gets removed on the first immersion in salt water. But anyway, after that very first dive, the suit usually doesn't seem excessively buoyant at all.

[h=2]Breaking in a new wetsuit[/h]
Seems to me the question is not one of "breaking in" the wetsuit, but rather one of proper maintenance to help keep it "new" as long as possible.

Rinse thoroughly in clean water after every dive session. Make sure the zipper(s) are free of any crud/sand/accumulated salt. Apply a small amount of dry lubricant ("dry" silicone or parafin zipper wax) on the zippers. Some folks (like me) believe that an occasional spraying of an aqueous silicone product will help prolong the neoprene life. Dry your suit inside and out completely before storage. As much as possible, store all wetsuits in a cool, dry place with good ventilation, out of the sunlight. If hanging your wetsuit in storage, use the manufacturer provided (or a better grade if possible) suit hangers with broad shoulder bars. (Lots of folks are opposed to hanging wetsuits long term because of stretching. They prefer to let the suit lay completely flat -- on floor under one's bed, for example. In any event, don't fold or crease your wetsuit for long term storage.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom