Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The video does show the crew of the Andy Gil to be reckless idiots though.

That part you got right, because they appear to be kicking back basking in the after glow of a fun and productive day harassing the whalers, not reacting soon enough to the obvious aggressive and eventually illegal attack by the significantly larger "Research" vessel.

While the last "lurch" starboard by the whale murderers may have been due the swell, the Captain put his ship in a position where he could not keep from running into the Ady Gil. In a panic, the fact that AG throttled the wrong way does not make the SS crew the criminals in this incident.

Say all the bad things you want about Captain Paul Watson and his tactics but it would seem the Whalers have finally played into his hands and shown who is actually endangering human lives over the "right" to kill whales.

I was 24, a Navy Diver and I bought my first Corvette. A guy driving a Mustang wanted to race with me, he cut me off twice, got in-front of me and slammed on his brakes and took-off. I was pissed-off and put the pedal to the metal. He stopped at a red light, but rather than pulling up beside him, I got out of the car, opened his door and punched him in the head.

1. Was he wrong for harassing me, cutting me off, slamming on the brakes almost causing a collision? I think so.

2. Did he get what he deserved? I think so.

3. Did I have a right to be ticked-off? I think so.

4. Could I have been charged with assault? Yes.

In thinking about it, I was lucky. Should I have pulled a shotgun and blown him away because some arse made me angry? No.

Anyway you look at it, we have no reason to use deadly force on another unless we believe that we are in immediate danger and the use of such force is the last solution, in defense.

Regardless of your opinions on piracy, terrorism, or whaling, civilized people don't try to kill another solely because they're ticked-off and harassed. The jails are full of people who have acted in this manner.

As I've said, I'm happy to wait for the investigation, but in this isolated incident, if it's held that the whaling Captain intentionally rammed the smaller vessel, he should be drawn and quartered.

The SS Skipper should be punished similarly, should the evidence support a conviction; without question.

Good example. Now if the reckless Mustang driver (which represents the Ady Gil of course) had made a miscalculation, lost control of his car and you couldn't have avoided the hit, he would not only have put his life in danger but also your's and your passengers too. At best, he would have damaged your car. What would be even more criminal is if that same Mustang driver would have not lost control but intentionnaly put his car so he would be struck by yours.

I may be wrong but the Ady Gil incident looks to me like another balloon boy hoax. I might be biaised but the videos seem to show the the clowns of the Ady Gil were all very prepared for the collision...

Sea Shepherd has already recieved 1 million dollars towards rebuilding "Ady Gil"
They have filed charges and seek to recoup their loss and I think they will
win.

I think we should start a new poll.

Will the SS do something just as stupid in the name of ratings with the Ady Gill's replacement?

I for one vote YES!

That part you got right, because they appear to be kicking back basking in the after glow of a fun and productive day harassing the whalers, not reacting soon enough to the obvious aggressive and eventually illegal attack by the significantly larger "Research" vessel.

While the last "lurch" starboard by the whale murderers may have been due the swell, the Captain put his ship in a position where he could not keep from running into the Ady Gil. In a panic, the fact that AG throttled the wrong way does not make the SS crew the criminals in this incident.

Say all the bad things you want about Captain Paul Watson and his tactics but it would seem the Whalers have finally played into his hands and shown who is actually endangering human lives over the "right" to kill whales.

you cant murder a whale:

Murder, as defined in common law countries, is the unlawful killing of another human being with intent

:no:Do you mean to starboard?
See you topside! John

Nope, look back farther. Watch the wake. It looks like the whaler made a long turn to port to come alongside the Ady Gil. Then a wave caught them and jerked the bow to starboard.

We have a absolute rule on the Spree. You will approach no vessel or object within 1/2 mile unless you receive radio clearance first, or slow to idle speed. We learned the lesson the hard way. Wasn't the Spree that hit another vessel, but someone close to us.

Will the SS do something just as stupid in the name of ratings with the Ady Gill's replacement?

I for one vote YES!

Yes!!!

Whale Murderers, Whale Murderers, Whale Murderers, Whale Murderers, Whale Murderers, Whale Murderers, Whale Murderers, Whale Murderers, Whale Murderers, Whale Murderers.

Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research.

Ady Gil "put itself in front" "put itself in front" "put itself in front" "put itself in front" "put itself in front" "put itself in front" "put itself in front" "put itself in front" "put itself in front"

Glad to see we are all using words so correctly! :)

I for one vote YES!

I vote that all money from the Ady Gill gets "absorbed" by the organization.

It is Ady Gil himself who gave the money and it is to build another one.
This makes 2 million he has given to the cause.
Bob Barkers 5 million would probably buy a few more surprises,
so stay tuned folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom