breathing & boyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're neutral to start with why would you need to add air to begine an ascent?

I was taught to use my lungs to fine tune my bouyancy. I was also taught that the inflator button IS NOT an elevator button.

It *IS* an elevator. You just don't want to use it. :cool:

It's just a waste of gas, since you'll need start venting it anyway after ascending a few feet.

Terry

crpntr133:
I was taught to use my lungs to fine tune my bouyancy. I was also taught that the inflator button IS NOT an elevator button.

That is an excellant statement about delaying your breathing. It's simple and to the point.
RIDIVER501:
Not neccessarily true.

if you have done a proper bouyancy check at the surface. dumping any more led will cause you to be positive.

If you are at depth remember that your exposure suit will compress, thus changing your bouyancy characteristics slightly. (making you more negative)

What are the components of a divers bouyancy system.
1. BCD.
2. Lead
3. Exposure suit, if diving dry the dry suit is used inplace of the BCD at the bottom.
4. your lungs (for fine tuning)

if you are slightly heavy at the bottom,when you have already done a proper bouyancy check. you don;t need to remove lead you need to add another small burst for air or two to your BCD/Drysuit.

delaying an inhalation for a few seconds isn't harmful,
delaying an exhalation with a full breath can be fatal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom