Breezes Runaway Bay, Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Ingersoll:
I think it is fair to say that the diving in Jamaica is not on the same par with the premier or even average diving for the Caribbean. Granted I only dove off Ocho Rios but it just wasn't on the same level with premier Caribbean diving (Cayman Islands, Cozumel or TCI). I also found it to be well below what I would consider "average" Caribbean diving (Bahamas, USVI). That doesn't mean it "sucked", it just means I wouldn't consider it a dedicated dive destination. You will get wet, you'll see some cool stuff, and it sure beats no diving but don't expect it to be the best you've ever done unless all you have to compare it to is the quarry back home.

I think the diving in Negril is much better than Ocho Rios. I've been to Ocho Rios, but didn't dive there. The water vis was extremly poor and didn't see that it was worth our time. I've seen some pics from Ocho Rios that were good though. But overall I've not gotten great dive reports from there.

mike_s:
I think the diving in Negril is much better than Ocho Rios. I've been to Ocho Rios, but didn't dive there. The water vis was extremly poor and didn't see that it was worth our time. I've seen some pics from Ocho Rios that were good though. But overall I've not gotten great dive reports from there.

I'm not suprised to hear that really.
I think as a result of the rampant development(some would say overdevelopment) of Ochi (Ocho Rios) is a massive increase in wastes, treated and untreated into the bay there, coupled with all the rivers that empty into the bay there and i'm not suprised that the vis wasn't that good.
Beautiful natural features around the town though.

Personally I haven't dove around Ocho rios, haven't even heard of any dive sites there from members of my dive club.

Jamaica is a big island and I wish posters would preface or qualify their comments with the fact that they've only dove in a particular area before making a blanket statement about the quality of diving of the entire island.
It's just a pet peeve of mine.

<Steps off soap box>

Jamdiver:
I'm not suprised to hear that really.
I think as a result of the rampant development(some would say overdevelopment) of Ochi (Ocho Rios) is a massive increase in wastes, treated and untreated into the bay there, coupled with all the rivers that empty into the bay there and i'm not suprised that the vis wasn't that good.
Beautiful natural features around the town though.

Personally I haven't dove around Ocho rios, haven't even heard of any dive sites there from members of my dive club.

Jamaica is a big island and I wish posters would preface or qualify their comments with the fact that they've only dove in a particular area before making a blanket statement about the quality of diving of the entire island.
It's just a pet peeve of mine.

<Steps off soap box>

Point well taken. I do believe that the lack of fish and the dead and dying reef was what I based my statements on. Vis was actually okay. There was some unique underwater geography, a small wreck (my first) and generally enough to keep me interested. Once again, I wouldn't say it sucked, I would just say that it was below what I would consider average for the Caribbean. If you want to change my mind tell me where the best diving in Jamaica is and next time I'm down I'll check it out.

Fair enough Tim I've been meaning to get around to making a list of some of my favorite dive sites are on the north side of the island and generally all around the island.
The list won't be exhaustive since I started diving last year, but should be over 10.
Most will be shore dives..

My husband and I (both new divers) went to Breezes Runaway Bay in November 2004. Both really enjoyed being at an all inclusive and found the diving to be plenty exciting and colorful compared to the quarries we had been to in here in the midwest.

The specifics of diving at BRB: The dive shop takes certified divers out on two tank dives a day. First to about 80-90 feet, we saw some walls and 2 planes, another sight has a small wreck I believe. Second dive 30-40 feet, lots of coral and more fish though still not too many. Lots of the folks we dove with had been going to breezes for years though I would want to check out other places before going back. Nothing against breezes but I'd like to have a comparison and see more. The dive masters were clear about the dive plans but reluctant to head out in choppy waters. Our first dive they were talked into taking the boat out but then called the dive after about 20 minutes because the water was too cloudy. Visibility was about 30 feet which at that point was the best I had seen! The next two days were very clear and the crew was much happier so definitely no complaints given that we didn't have to pay extra for the dives.

The resort itself is older but very well maintained. The rooms are ok, plenty of room in the bathroom to rinse and hang gear! We enjoyed the activities, beach and pool, the staff is excellent. Also you can go to Hedo III if interested on day/night passes so that is always an option. We found people of all ages at breezes and all interested in having fun without it being an obnoxious party scene.

We had a great time and were really happy to have chosen breezes. Not a place for a purely dive vacation but a good mix of activities.

If you have any questions let me know!

-Lisa

Daryl Morse:
Anyone been there? If so, please post or PM your comments. They claim to be close to the Cayman Wall. Looking for a place that's a good compromise for a non-diver. Is the diving okay?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom