Brendal's Dive Center, Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We visited Green Turtle around 3 years ago. We spent a week living on a sail boat anchored off the island. First, you are going to love Green Turtle. Super cool island, great people and the diving was pretty decent. Rent a golf cart and tour the island. Yep a golf cart will fit down the small town streets and cover the island. Bet there are only a dozen or so gas vehicles on the island.

Brendels, ??
Well it was 3 years ago and I only did two dives with Brendel.
I preferred diving from the sail boat dingy. If you have access to a boat, several of the reefs are marked with mooring bouys.

Brendels, ??
The boat was over crowded. The majority were snorkelers. OK, except Brendel got upset if the divers did not immediately clear the area under the boat. He apparently wanted this area free for the snorkelers. Happened to be the best spot on the reef.
:06:
Did not like the owner operators attitude.

I took a couple that were new divers. On the first dive the lady was slightly underweighted. Pulled her down and all was OK. Brendle was overly impatient over the delay. Then her husbands tank slipped. Not a problem as I saw the situation and corrected it. The divemaster got a little ahead of us due to this delay. Again not a problem. The dive brief indicated that the DM would follow a ledge and eventually do a 180 back to the boat. So I led us delayed divers in the same direction. Sure enough we soon ran into the DMs group on their return. We fell in with them and returned to the boat. Back on the boat the DM gave me, a much to stern lecture, for not staying with him. I asked if he knew the reason we were delayed. He did not see my friends tank slip. Soo, dive sites OK. But I simply did not like their attitude.

I think Brendels is the only dive operator on Green Turtle. And, if you go you must dive. Surely I just hit them on a less than perfect day.

Thanks for the info. We will have our own boat so I'm hoping they will rent equipment.
I e-mailed Brendel's to ask about rentals and they replied with this laundry list of all the trips that they had to offer if we'd just dive from their boat. I honestly don't really think they answered my question.
Do the dive centers there rent to divers that have their own boats?
We've stayed on Elbow Cay several times before, but I was not certified then. We just did a lot of snorkeling from our boat. Big Sandy Cay is really nice.
Thanks,
Rance...

MakoSince70:
We visited Green Turtle around 3 years ago. We spent a week living on a sail boat anchored off the island. First, you are going to love Green Turtle. Super cool island, great people and the diving was pretty decent. Rent a golf cart and tour the island. Yep a golf cart will fit down the small town streets and cover the island. Bet there are only a dozen or so gas vehicles on the island.

Brendels, ??
Well it was 3 years ago and I only did two dives with Brendel.
I preferred diving from the sail boat dingy. If you have access to a boat, several of the reefs are marked with mooring bouys.

Brendels, ??
The boat was over crowded. The majority were snorkelers. OK, except Brendel got upset if the divers did not immediately clear the area under the boat. He apparently wanted this area free for the snorkelers. Happened to be the best spot on the reef.
:06:
Did not like the owner operators attitude.

I took a couple that were new divers. On the first dive the lady was slightly underweighted. Pulled her down and all was OK. Brendle was overly impatient over the delay. Then her husbands tank slipped. Not a problem as I saw the situation and corrected it. The divemaster got a little ahead of us due to this delay. Again not a problem. The dive brief indicated that the DM would follow a ledge and eventually do a 180 back to the boat. So I led us delayed divers in the same direction. Sure enough we soon ran into the DMs group on their return. We fell in with them and returned to the boat. Back on the boat the DM gave me, a much to stern lecture, for not staying with him. I asked if he knew the reason we were delayed. He did not see my friends tank slip. Soo, dive sites OK. But I simply did not like their attitude.

I think Brendels is the only dive operator on Green Turtle. And, if you go you must dive. Surely I just hit them on a less than perfect day.

I know Brendels had rental equipment. My guess is that he would rent to you for use on your boat, provided he did not require the equip for customers on his boat.

Cannot remember the name of the dive center or marina at March Harbor. But, the dive operator at the marina rented gear for those with their own boat. Again, this was 3 years ago.

The standard nav charts had the dive site mooring bouys marked for Green Turtle. In good wheather they were easy to get to.

Good Luck. Again, if you have never been to Green Turtle, plan to spend a day exploring the island. One of the best in the area.

We went out twice with Brendals - then also once just rented gear from him & went out on our own. There are well marked bouys all around Green Turtle and you can tie up and dive on you own easily - but I thought the experience with Brendal was great too. He and Richard (the other DM) were cool, professional and very easy to get along with.

On one of the days we brought our kids who wanted to snorkel while we dove and they had a great time watching us dive below while they snorkeled at the surface.

They have everything you might need for just rentals too and were great to work with either way.

The boat at the dock
bahamas_048.sized.jpg

From the water
IMGP0237.sized.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom