bright lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatoys:
The white light of the UK Light Cannon is very impressive, but if you want it to have that very white look, but don't want it to be that bright - check out the new Underwater Kinetics eLed C8 .

Because they are LED's they are very sturdy, and you get longer burn times out of a set of batteries... and they are about half the price of the UK Light Cannon.

I would not recommend the Light Cannon. While it is reasonably bright, the burn time is short, the bulb is delicate and expensive, and, as mentioned above, there are alternatives that may serve your needs well.

As for can lights, I started out with a used Dive-Rite MR11 10W HID. I upgraded the battery to get more burn time, but didn't like the non-focusable head. I ended up buying a Halcyon Helios 13.5 18W and have kept the MR11 in reserve.

I like the Helios because (1) it is very effective as a communications device; (2) it has good penetration in dark or murky water; and (3) I get around 6 hours of burn time.

Can lights are expensive; however, its a matter of degree. Halcyon and Dive-Rite have a couple of smaller 10W can lights that are not unreasonable. I suspect that other manufacturers have the same.

As much as I like the Helios, I prefer to use less intense light when night diving. I've always been a bit concerned that the can light will scare off, or even injure, the marine life that comes out at night. Accordingly, I wear the can light, but use my scout. I only turn the can light on if I need it for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom