Brighter than HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on, or heard of, HLD [sic] bulbs made By MAL Lighting? They say they're twice as bright as HID bulbs. The one I'm looking at uses 4.5 watts and replaces an UK SL4 bulb. They say they're indestructable. I say they're expensive, but interesting.

Very interesting, I checked out their website. What is a euro worth to the dollar? Is it the wave length or the color from the higher temp that makes the difference?

skeet:
Very interesting, I checked out their website. What is a euro worth to the dollar?

I found one in Norway for 72 bucks.

Is it the wave length or the color from the higher temp that makes the difference?

I don't know. Go back to their site and click "Technology" then "bulb technology," read the explanation, and then explain it to me. There's an in-depth explanation somewhere with a picture of the 4.5 watt HLD beam next to twenty watt halogen beam. I want one to replace the halogen bulb in a scout-type light.

evad:
Does anyone have an opinion on, or heard of, HLD [sic] bulbs made By MAL Lighting? They say they're twice as bright as HID bulbs.
Twice as bright huh? Lord, I hope they don't make a can light with the things... it'll light up the depths like a flash grenade.

They are using light emitting diodes but the output is way above what we think of when we think of LEDs currently used in underwater lights. The color is a little far to the blue side I think according to the color temperature spec of 10,000 degrees Kelvin.

Edit: Looks like the technology is not exactly new. Here is a SB thread from '03.

skeet:
Well, it talks about halogen and HID but not HLD that I can see.

In the "news" section where they compare halogen to HLD graphically, they mention in passing that the HLD technology is semiconductor based, and in the technology/bulb section they refer to semiconductor lamps also.

In the HLD3 product description they refer to the stabile [sic] diode junction.

Methinks it's an LED lamp, they just don't come out and say it that way. Perhaps it's a new LED technology, perhaps not ...

Maybe it's more clearly explained in the German version off the site, I'll have to ask my wife (who is fluent in German).

Cheers,
Walter

almost as a goof, I figured the only way to find out for sure was to buy the thing. It's very much like any other 3-C cell light, seems well machined (as you'd expect from a German firm). It has a nice whitish light beam but not something to go crazy over. Not as bright as an HID in my opinion but then they don't make 3-C HID's; I don't know what their primary version does.

What is interesting is the light module itself appears to be a sealed unit. I think I could flood this thing and just dry it off without any damage to the bulb or ballast (I probably won't try). It looks like a really big single-LED lamp.

I am tempted to buy a Pelican LED 3-cell Sabrelight just to compare the light quality but there's only so much of this privately-funded personal research thing I can stand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom