Brighter than HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Night Diver:
Not as bright as an HID in my opinion but then they don't make 3-C HID's

Which HID? How is it compared to a 3-C light with a SL4 halogen bulb? I'm thinking of swithching an HLD bulb for the SL4 bulb in my (cheap) Abyss and haven't found any LED alternatives. Where did you buy your light? Thanks.

It seems quite a bit brighter to me than than a 3-C halogen or xenon bulb, I am thinking specifically of a Scout that a buddy of mine had. Unfortunately I don't have another 3-C to do a side by side comparison with but if it ever stops raining here and I get on a boat with somebody I'll try to do a little comparison.

The HID I was comparing it to is my light cannon, admittedly not a comparison I am suggesting makes any sense given the spread of the light beam and other non-comparable issues.

The sealed bulb unit itself looks like it would just drop into any 3-C light, if you need it I can mic it and see what the diameter is. I bought mine from Tech-Blue in NJ, their only US distributor that I know of.

Oh and FWIW the light has the same affinity for Duracells that the cannon does, I tried using Energizers and it wouldn't work at all. The Duracells have a wider surface area at the base/negative terminal and the internal conduit that runs down the inside of the light terminates in a largish circle at the inside base. Odd.

It is indeed an LED light and as such uses no ballast but probably has voltage regulation circuitry. Dunno about wattage on the lamp, but a 2 watt LED would be roughly equivalent to probably a 5 watt halogen, which is basically SL4 or Pelican SaberLight level, but brighter than a Scout.

Night Diver:
It seems quite a bit brighter to me than than a 3-C halogen or xenon bulb, I am thinking specifically of a Scout that a buddy of mine had.

The sealed bulb unit itself looks like it would just drop into any 3-C light, if you need it I can mic it and see what the diameter is. I bought mine from Tech-Blue in NJ, their only US distributor that I know of.

Oh and FWIW the light has the same affinity for Duracells that the cannon does, I tried using Energizers and it wouldn't work at all. The Duracells have a wider surface area at the base/negative terminal and the internal conduit that runs down the inside of the light terminates in a largish circle at the inside base. Odd.

"Quite a bit brighter" than a scout is what I wanted to hear. Thanks. No need for the micometer; the HLD bulb replaces the SL4 bulb in any light. Waiting to hear from Tech-Blue on the price. I know its a lot but at least, as you pointed out, the bulb seems sealed. Thanks for the battery advice. Who'd a thought? Good luck with the weather

jonnythan:
It is indeed an LED light and as such uses no ballast but probably has voltage regulation circuitry. Dunno about wattage on the lamp, but a 2 watt LED would be roughly equivalent to probably a 5 watt halogen, which is basically SL4 or Pelican SaberLight level, but brighter than a Scout.

The HLD is 4.5 watt which should make it twice as bright as an SL4 and way brighter than a scout (which is a 3-battery SL4). Right?

Hope this is pertinent, I was advised by someone in the industry not to purchase an HID light ( was considering the light cannon ) because sometime in the next two years there will be LED lights far superior than current HID technology.

skeet:
Hope this is pertinent, I was advised by someone in the industry not to purchase an HID light ( was considering the light cannon ) because sometime in the next two years there will be LED lights far superior than current HID technology.

Then we'll be able to afford hid lights.

skeet:
Hey, I hadn't seen that apect of of this news. Good point evad, I will start researching those HID systems after all.

There's always a shiny silver lining.................if you're desperate enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom