Bringing Dive Equipment on Cruise Ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tsdiver

New
Reaction score
Well, I am going on a Princess cruise on May 29 leaving from Ft Laud. We are driving there so dont have to worry about airlines. I dive with my son and would like to take my gear with me. Can anyone answer a few questions I have...

1. Do you check your dive gear in when you get to the ship or walk it thru as carry on luggage. We have dive computers, bc, regs etc that we'd like to carry with us so it doesnt get lost.

2. I understand we cannot bring on dive knives. Is there anything else that would be a concern.

3. We are planning on diving in GC. Would there be any problems with uw camera? I currently have it in a pelican case, was wondering if they would have issues that type of gear.

Any info would be appreciated!!

Thanks.

Hi tsdiver,

I've never been on a Princess cruise but I can tell you how it went on Disney.

1. I did it for the ship the same way I do it for air travel. My BC, fins, and accessories went in my checked luggage and I had a carry-on bag with my regulator, computer, booties, and mask/snorkel. I had no problems.

2. Dive knives seem to be universally prohibited on cruise ships. I'm not aware of any other piece of basic dive gear that is a problem.

3. I carried an UW camera in a Pelican case and had no problems.

tsdiver:
Well, I am going on a Princess cruise on May 29 leaving from Ft Laud. We are driving there so dont have to worry about airlines. I dive with my son and would like to take my gear with me. Can anyone answer a few questions I have...

1. Do you check your dive gear in when you get to the ship or walk it thru as carry on luggage. We have dive computers, bc, regs etc that we'd like to carry with us so it doesnt get lost.

2. I understand we cannot bring on dive knives. Is there anything else that would be a concern.

3. We are planning on diving in GC. Would there be any problems with uw camera? I currently have it in a pelican case, was wondering if they would have issues that type of gear.

Any info would be appreciated!!

Thanks.

We got back today from a Holland America cruise. We took our gear with us.

Reg's and computers went in our carry on and checked in the rest in our mesh gear bags. My camera and housing also went in my carry on, all in a regular camera bag.

Marc

I've sailed with Princess 8 or 9 times
Never had any problems with my dive gear
One time I had to claim it at the loading deck ( 4 level )
I think they xray everything so BCD's hoses regs. etc.
looked a little different
Then they delivered it to my suite
Dive gear takes up a lot of room in your cabin
but to many times some of that rental stuff craps out!
As for a dive knife I carry a B.C. knife already attached
so I just concider it as part of my kit

If you are driving to the port of call, why would you not just bring your dive bag packed like any other dive trip?

Just curious because I am going with RC in 2 weeks and need to know where you stow the extra suitcase while in that tiny cabin!!!

DO they stow it for you?

dive4funOften:
If you are driving to the port of call, why would you not just bring your dive bag packed like any other dive trip?

Just curious because I am going with RC in 2 weeks and need to know where you stow the extra suitcase while in that tiny cabin!!!

DO they stow it for you?
Is where I put mine. There's plenty of room.
I let it dry in the shower and then stow it back in the bag.
Fred

Thanks Fred. I thought I was missing something. I am just going to bring my normal dive bag and keep it really simple. That works well for me!

dive4funOften:

DO they stow it for you?

There was plenty of room under our bed to store suitcases. Other stuff went on the small couch.

Everything got rinsed out in the small tub/shower, then hung out on the balcony to dry. Ticked the missus off a bit to have wet dive stuff on the chairs and she couldn't sit out there though. :wink:

Marc

FLL Diver:
There was plenty of room under our bed to store suitcases. Other stuff went on the small couch.

Everything got rinsed out in the small tub/shower, then hung out on the balcony to dry. Ticked the missus off a bit to have wet dive stuff on the chairs and she couldn't sit out there though. :wink:

Marc

my thoughts (or actions) exactly.

As far as checking gear through, the dive knife was no problem. However, trying to go on and off the ship to the dive boat with the knife was another matter.
Since I have not run into any entanglement hazards in any Carribean dive site I have visited thus far (9 years) and I have a shears (sizzor), why bother with a knife anyway.

If you have tons of suitcases, and no more room under the bed for another one, the cabin steward will store it down the hall for you in a hall closet, and bring it back to you the day before you need to leave the ship.
I have had to do this many times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom