Broad question: Going to Singapore for work, want to take a week diving - WHERE?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We only ran into one other group of divers once! Heard great things about Komodo though, but busier. Have fun!

Really? Having been to Bunaken twice my experience is that it resembles the most popular areas of Florida or the Caribbean - dozens and dozens of dive resorts nextdoor to each other and dozens of boats competing for space on a wall less than a mile long.

Komodo in contrast is a very large area with plenty of space to go around - of 16 dives we only saw another group on the same site once - and that was mostly due to the phenomenal visibility at Castle Rock which meant we could see them a long way off. I was there in June in the middle of the season so I don't think it was the time of year?

Aside from the crowds I personally feel Bunaken is one of the most over-rated dive destinations I've ever visited. There's a heart-breaking amount of trash floating around in the water and the diving is pretty average. Not great for macro, coral is pretty trashed and aside from turtles nothing bigger than a parrotfish - in two trips I've really only had one good dive there. It's easy to get to, it's cheap and convenient but it's just not all that; frankly Bunaken is the Indonesian diving equivalent of MacDonalds, Komodo is more like a Michelin two starred restaurant (and I guess RA is the three star).

Nearby Lembeh is fantastic though.

Gekodivebali is on the mark about the seasons. May is the beginning of the diving season in Komodo. By the end of May, conditions might be fine for diving in southern and northern Komodo Island. Its an 1 1/2 hour trip from Singapore to Bali. Air Asia or Tiger Air leaves almost every hour. You will probably have to spend a night in Bali for your connecting flight to Lauban Bajo, Flores Island for your Komodo LOB. Your flight connections from LBJ to Singapore via Bali are straightforward for the return. Find a LOB that is really knows the tides and currents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom