Broke even CCR vs OC fills costs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even so, seriously, how hard is the math? Let me lay it out. Let's say you spend 10k on the unit and then 4k on training and that includes lodging and food during training (probably high estimates).

Indeed, let's say you are mostly doing moderate dives in the 200ish range and using 18/45 fills on a set of 100 doubles @1 dollar/cu foot.

200 cf x 1 = $200.

For the same dives on RB, figure 23 cf x 1 = $23 (for diluent)
(of course there are fills for pure O2 on the RB and/or OC deco, but those are probably pretty much a wash)

So 200-23 = $217

$177 - $15/dive (for sorb) = $163

So 14,000/163(savings per dive) = 86 dives (rounded)

Add back $300 for sensors

14300/163 = 88 dives (rounded)

Gas prices probably differ a bit, depending on volume and LDS prices, but it's easy to insert those changes. Likewise, overall price of the unit/training/lodging probably different from place to place. Either way, not hard to calculate.
It's not hard to calculate. My point is that I don't think anyone's really calculating it accurately.

Even in your example youre basing it on empty tanks after ever dive, just like how Jim used an unrealistic RB value and unrealistic gas. It's just not real life.

I have a rebreather too. It's neat. But it doesn't pay for itself in 88 dives. 88 topoffs does not cost 14,000 dollars.

I agree, 88 dives is not a hard number. My example was a basic estimate. Change your fill costs, change your volume needs, etc. If you want, you can calculate your costs per driving mile, per loaf of bread to make PB&Js during training etc. None of the calculations are that hard. Just sit down and make a list of costs of OC versus RB. No matter how much detail you want to get down to, the math just isn't that difficult.

I agree, 88 dives is not a hard number. My example was a basic estimate. Change your fill costs, change your volume needs, etc. If you want, you can calculate your costs per driving mile, per loaf of bread to make PB&Js during training etc. None of the calculations are that hard. Just sit down and make a list of costs of OC versus RB. No matter how much detail you want to get down to, the math just isn't that difficult.
I went back through my posts and I couldn't find where I said it was difficult to calculate.

But for something so easy no one has done it yet :wink:

I have a rebreather too. It's neat. But it doesn't pay for itself in 88 dives. 88 topoffs does not cost 14,000 dollars.

And to use a lower value, say you have a set of 100 doubles and get them filled at .75/cf for 18/45.

One fill on that set of doubles = $150

$150 x 88 = $13,200

So we're in the ballpark here.

Maybe you get much better prices or your shop calculates exact volumes (accounting for remaining gas in the tanks), I don't get quite such a good deal, I typically get charged on nominal tank volumes.

But for something so easy no one has done it yet :wink:

I just did in my previous post. Let me know what your mpg is, local gas prices are, and how much a loaf of bread, and jar of peanut butter cost. I'll give you an estimate. :wink:

And to use a lower value, say you have a set of 100 doubles and get them filled at .75/cf for 18/45.

One fill on that set of doubles = $150

$150 x 88 = $13,200

So we're in the ballpark here.

Maybe you get much better prices or your shop calculates exact volumes (accounting for remaining gas in the tanks), I don't get quite such a good deal, I typically get charged on nominal tank volumes.
Who seriously breathes their doubles down on every dive?

Alternative math?

In our neck of the woods there are no such things as top offs. You are paying for the full fill regardless of how much gas is in the tank.

In our neck of the woods there are no such things as top offs. You are paying for the full fill regardless of how much gas is in the tank.
Open your own fill station. Charge by cubic foot. Demolish the competition. Profit.

Who seriously breathes their doubles down on every dive?

Alternative math?
most places other than cave country that I have gotten Trimix fills are notably both more expensive and don't charge tipoff prices.

I mix my own, and helium still costs me $1 per cuft...and that's welding gas.

100 Trimix dives wouldn't be payoff for me, closer to 250....and that's dependent on how long it takes to complete those dives...because of consumable and maintenance costs.

Open your own fill station. Charge by cubic foot. Demolish the competition. Profit.

Makes sense if there is a big enough market locally...otherwise, get enough stuff to do it for yourself. Expensive investment...but worth the savings in asspain. Can't stand relying on local shops to to anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom