Brooks drysuit opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Limoges Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I'm looking at purchasing a used drysuit, but I know very little about them. The reason I'm going used is that I'm not sure I'll like it a lot, so why drop over a grand, right?

I found a Brooks drysuit (made in B.C., Canada), that has a "New Si Tech automatic exhaust valve installed on arm". The suit is in good condition - the seller thinks that a protective suit was worn over it (does that make sense?).

I think it's a compressed neoprene style, but not 100% sure.

Anyway, I would like your opinions on this. :)

Save a few more dollars and buy a new suit. Ie. Bare Nex Gen also keep an eye out, they will be on sale for less than a thousand.

Save a few more dollars and buy a new suit. Ie. Bare Nex Gen also keep an eye out, they will be on sale for less than a thousand.
This one is less than $400.00 bucks, plus no sales tax, which is 13% where I live!

When I read the thread title, I thought Brooks Brothers were exploring new markets. :) Anyway, Brooks Divegear of North Vancouver, BC, website drysuit page is at

Drysuits at Brooks Divegear

Here's a picture of one of their 1800 series suits:

c4.jpg

When I read the thread title, I thought Brooks Brothers were exploring new markets. :) Anyway, Brooks Divegear of North Vancouver, BC, website drysuit page is at

Drysuits at Brooks Divegear

Here's a picture of one of their 1800 series suits:

c4.jpg

Yes, I saw that. I am thinking of buying it - my dive buddy wants it if I don't get it. :)

it's not a deal if it doesn't fit. with a drysuit, fit comes first. would you be able to try it on first? if it fits, go for it!

it's not a deal if it doesn't fit. with a drysuit, fit comes first. would you be able to try it on first? if it fits, go for it!
Yes, I can try it on first. It's a neoprene suit - not the crushed neoprene. Not sure what the pros and cons of this style suit are.

I saw the same ad on Kijiji.ca and 1st suggestion is to try it on.

I'm not familiar with the Brooks but the one thing to keep in mind with the neoprene drysuits is that they weigh a ton when you come out of the water. I have an Atlan (another Canadian company) compressed neoprene drysuit and I find I can wear a lighter undergarment in colder water than when I'm wearing my Fusion but you also get more buoyancy swing as the neoprene compresses at depth (and need to wear more weight an you would with a laminate suit).

If you're looking for dive buddies around Ottawa check out Ottawa Divers - Index page or ontariodiving.com

With a drysuit we've got a long dive season!

Fit is key for sure. Do you know how old the suit is? When the wrist and neck seals were last replaced?
Are the undergarments included? Make sure you try it on over an undergarment. The suit keeps you dry but the undergarment keeps you warm(er).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom