Bsac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FafferUK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi

I did PADI OW and AOW while backpacking in SE Asia. I am not back in the UK and want to continue diving. I have heard rumours that BSAC clubs while offering a really high standard of training are sometimes not too welcoming of PADI etc, sometimes to the point of asking them to completely retrain. Has anyone has any experience of this? Or can tell me what to expect when I turn up at the club?

Thanks

Hi

I did PADI OW and AOW while backpacking in SE Asia. I am not back in the UK and want to continue diving. I have heard rumours that BSAC clubs while offering a really high standard of training are sometimes not too welcoming of PADI etc, sometimes to the point of asking them to completely retrain. Has anyone has any experience of this? Or can tell me what to expect when I turn up at the club?

Thanks

Scuba Diving Forums

I think you will do better there with your question.

I think a lot will depend on the diving officer of the club you join, he may be ok after he sees you in the water or he may just tell you do the course.
Don't join right away, ask if you can attend a couple of meetings, see how they do things, are they friendly, what equipment do they have etc.

My personal opinion, Clubs are made up of many people some are ok some are @$$.
But it it works both ways, I am BSAC trained and the SALT agreement between PADI and BSAC said I could cross over to PADI DM. PADI refused to do it, they said I would have to do the DM course. I refused to put another $ in on principle, an agreement is an agreement. Why have an agreement if you don't intend to stand by it.

Dpregan,
I'm not a BSAC member but I'm in a rival club organisation called the SAA.

I was encouraged to consider UK diving by a BSAC member when I was diving abroad. Buddies of mine are BSAC trained.

Most dive clubs welcome divers with PADI qualifications - it's a real myth to think that they do not. As far as I know if you want BSAC training they have a chart called the SALT agreement which is what they use as a starting point for starting/continuing BSAC training.

As for retraining - there are extra things you need to do for UK diving such as deploying a DSMB (Delayed Surface Marker Buoy) or blob as it is commonly known. BSAC use their own BSAC 88 dive tables so you'd need to know those if you want to do BSAC training.

As a PADI AOW you'd probably cross over as an Ocean Diver which limits you to 20metres as far as I know. As a PADI AOW you will be qualified to 30m but your PADI training covers you for warm water conditions - conditions in the UK are tougher - cold water and at times poor visibility so you'd need time to get used to those conditions. (I went from OW in Cancun to UK diving and the diving conditions are very different). The other thing is you might be taught how to use a drysuit - drysuits are more often the norm in UK conditions.

Complete retraining is usually down to the discretion of the Diving Officer ( Responsible for ensuring that divers are adhering to club rules/procedures) and the Training Officer (responsible for training). Most clubs will build on what you have done already and seek to expand your knowledge and won't denigrate PADI experience.

If you do want to join a club, go along to a club and have a chat.

BTW BSAC are not the only club organisation - you could also look into the SAA.

The SAA website is: http://www.saa.org.uk/

Hi BSAC & SAA teach nearly the same. It's not the agency it's down to the instructors within the branches.
I am SAA & BSAC and both have there good and bad point's.
Choose your club most are now moving with the times but there are a few still being left behind.
Best of luck with your choice.

SAA Regional Instructor.
BSAC Openwater Instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom