Bucket list?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know. Something I saw on one of those nature channels said the sea lions were aggressive and dangerous. I live in Florida, we have manatees. Harmless creatures. I know nothing of sea lions, that's why I was just going on what they said on the show.

I met a former Galapagos divemaster who got between a beach master and his harem and had an ugly 8" scar on her leg. They are not to be messed with.

I was on a 10-day liveaboard, south route. In my case part of the issue was that the majority of the people on board were with a group that primarily wanted to do channel diving. After about three of those, I'm ready to move on to other kinds of diving. Frankly, the best dive on our whole trip (to my concern) was a house reef at a resort. It was basically a big wreck that was completely covered in life ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I just got back from the Maldives (the infamous Maldives Aggressor) and felt that the house reef at the Holiday Inn gave more bang for the buck than the boat dives. We had iffy visibility and they took us to sites that weren't far from where they could get the boat repaired. I'd take the Red Sea over the Maldives any day.

I have heard that sea lions are extremely aggressive and dangerous.

You've heard wrong. I've dived with sea lions several times ... the big stellars this past February. I was practically gang-tackled by them, but they weren't being aggressive ... more like playful. Had they wanted to harm me, I wouldn't have stood a chance. They were "biting" me all over ... arms, head, legs ... the part I was most worried about was that they'd accidentally damage my camera. But I got some killer shots. This one's my dive buddy, who had a whole pack of them descending right on top of her.

IMG_2628.jpg

They weren't shy about getting in my face, and I had to sometimes fend them off a bit. But it was more like fending off a gigantic puppy ...

IMG_2181.jpg

I wouldn't call them dangerous ... more like curious, playful, and really big. So yes, they might hurt you ... but not because they intended to.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I just got back from the Maldives (the infamous Maldives Aggressor) and felt that the house reef at the Holiday Inn gave more bang for the buck than the boat dives. We had iffy visibility and they took us to sites that weren't far from where they could get the boat repaired. I'd take the Red Sea over the Maldives any day.

... me too ... no comparison ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Don't know. Something I saw on one of those nature channels said the sea lions were aggressive and dangerous. I live in Florida, we have manatees. Harmless creatures. I know nothing of sea lions, that's why I was just going on what they said on the show.
Do you have any recommendations of places to dive in Florida? I'll be heading to Orlando next year so I wouldn't mind getting a dive or two in while there

I've only been diving a little over 2 years so my bucket list isn't even very informed. So far my wife and I have been to Cozumel(twice), Belize, Curacao, Kona and leave for Roatan in a few weeks.

Red Sea is probably #1 on my list, Galopogos, Papau NG, Lembeh Straits, Fiji are also high on our must do destinations. Of course there are a few more afordable Carribean destinations we want to do (Little Caymen, Turks, Bonaire)

Sardine run and Galapagos are my top two. I would like to dive just about everywhere I possibly can though just for diversity and experiences.

I managed to dive a couple of aircraft wrecks this year in Subic Bay but I still want to dive the AJ-2 Savage and the F4 Phantom, I would even go back and dive the Tabby and Skyraider again.
You might like to add the tail of a Orion P3 and the wing of PBY Catalina(?), LCM Mk3 in Subic.
There is a Nakajima Ki-43 recently found in Coron.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom