Buddy Dive - Prepay extra boat dives or go a-la-carte?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know you were trying to focus us on a specific question, but hey, since when do SB replies stick to the topic? :wink:

I've been to Bonaire three times--the first trip was with Buddy Dive--and I still feel no need for boat dives as an add-on. I've met people who have been there five or more times and say the boat diving on Klein Bonaire is worth doing but hardly necessary, and only after one has pretty much exhausted the shore diving. I haven't reached that point yet. After three trips, there are STILL shore dive sites I haven't made it to. Again, sorry to not address your specific question!

Boat diving is certainly easier for geezers and lazy folks, so I would not be so harsh. We have stayed at BD numerous times and love the operation. There is sometimes some challenge to get on the boat sign up list as the chalkboard isn't available for sign up the next day until the AM boats the previous day have gone out. I've at times found the board full when I've tried to sign up for a 2 tanker or a popular spot like Hilma Hooker, but in those situations, there was always another boat dive available for a one tank dive. They list choices as one or two tanks and sometimes north or south,or Klein, but do not stipulate a specific site except for Hilma.

I think for a first timer on Bonaire or a lazy guy like me, it's worth prebooking a boat package.

Wife and I are leaving this Sunday (May 12) for our 10th trip to Bonaire and back to BuddyDive. We booked the boat dive package the first year back in 99 and since then have skipped it. There is a bit of a savings in buying the "package"but there is no "priority" status. It's all about signing up on the ol'e chalkboard. First come , first served. Maybe things have changed since our last visit in 2011.

Bottom line for us is that we go to Bonaire for the no schedule shore diving and so the small extra cost to pay “ala-carte” for the few boat dives we might do is really no big deal. Our first year we never even used the 6 boat dives that came with the package. The whole point and beauty of Bonaire is NO schedule, NO groups, NO depth limits or dive time limits, NO dive-masters and NO Nanny telling us that we can’t have a cold one right after a dive.

Couple of other tips for Buddy Dive and Bonaire.

We always stay for 10 nights instead of the normal Sat to Sat seven night packages. The chalkboard is always light on arrival day and deco day….. so that’s when we dive Klein.

On the other days we always wait to hit the breakfast buffet till about 10 or 15 minutes before the morning boats are scheduled to leave the dock. That pretty much clears the restaurant so plenty of room for a nice table.

Before we go to bed we ALLWAYS stash 4 Nitrox tanks in the truck and two more in the room so there is no waiting or possibility of shortage at the drive-through…. Plus my wife dives a 63 so we want to make sure we have them secured with our personal “reservation” system.

Instead of spending our $$ on the Buddy Klein boat dives, we do at least 2 days of 2 tank dives on the East side. Back in the day it was Larrys Wild Side Diving, but he either sold the boat or lost it in a poker game so last trip it was East Coast Divers. Definitely worth it… IMHO.. Bigger dives. Bigger stuff.

The Rumrunners restaurant right next door at Captain Dons is pretty good and a nice option for anyone who doesn't want to drive.

Last but not least… it is required to pack an ice-chest with brewski’s and head south for a sunset. possible green flash and game of Bonaire Beach Jenga… to see who can place the final rock before the tower falls..

If anyone here will be there from May 12 thru May 22… we’d love to buy a round and shoot the breeze.

IMG_0061.jpg

We did see the blackboard fill up on certain boats before we or others could sign up on more than one occasion. It depends on where they are going and if the resort is full. Remember also, there are people using Buddy Dive to dive only, not staying at resort, as well as those staying at their 2 sister resorts with a dive package, so they are signing up for dives, too.
as far as will you lose dives.....no. You may not get to go out on the dive boat you want every time, in case it fills up, but they have boats going out 3 times a day as long as enough people sign up.

And I never meant to imply that you never need to boat dive. I like the dives over at Klein, as well as doing Karpata from the boat. Excellent dives, for sure. BUT, boat diving takes time since they go back to the resort between dives and load and unload the boat. I prefer to only do 1 boat dive per day for that reason. Other resorts do 2-tank dive trips, Buddy's only does 1 tank trips as they are right across from Klein. The only exception to that is when they take the big, fast boat up north for the day.

And for ALL the new Bonaire divers reading this..... BUY the "Bonaire shore diving made easy" guide. It is a complete listing of all shore dive sites, a page for each dive site, with entry info as well as description of where to park and what you will see. Worth every penny. You can buy it there, but you might want to order it online NOW to check out the dive sites you want to visit. We bought this guide before our first trip in 2007, and we still refer to it when planning our vacation. We write in the margins of the sites we dive, what we thought about it, comments, what fish we saw, etc. Great investment for your trip!!!!
Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, BSDME, Author Susan Porter

robin

I think the biggest question is what kind of diving do you want to do? Bonaire is a shore diving destination, but if you like the ease of boat diving, and avoiding the adventure/hassle of d.i.y. shore diving, and plan to do more boat diving, then sign up for it.

As had been said, Buddy Dive uses a chalkboard with slots, and run three boat dives a day. The big Newton-class boat, the Lady Blue is most commonly used. The catamaran is used for trips to the National Park, and you'll have to book that (and pay) separately. It's not included in any packages.

We never had problems getting signed up for boat dives. The morning trip fills up quickly, so do sign up for that the day before. Often for the later two trips, we just walked on, as they weren't full yet. The only time I saw the boat fill up fast was the announced trip to the Hilma Hooker wreck.

Here's a shot of the chalkboard at Buddy dive. My sister's signing up for an Afternoon dive, on the morning of that dive.

Long story short; if you like boat diving, and think you'll do that more, then sign up for the additional dives. You shouln't have a problem getting on the boat. In my opinion, it isn't worth it, you can see just as much shore diving, and do more diving for less money.IMG_4600 (683x1024).jpg

And for ALL the new Bonaire divers reading this..... BUY the "Bonaire shore diving made easy" guide. It is a complete listing of all shore dive sites, a page for each dive site, with entry info as well as description of where to park and what you will see. Worth every penny. You can buy it there, but you might want to order it online NOW to check out the dive sites you want to visit. We bought this guide before our first trip in 2007, and we still refer to it when planning our vacation. We write in the margins of the sites we dive, what we thought about it, comments, what fish we saw, etc. Great investment for your trip!!!!
Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, BSDME, Author Susan Porter

robin

Robin,

Thanks for the tip...

Boat Diving at Buddy is a bonus in that Klein is not accessible for diving any other way.

The Diving from the Boat at Klein is in most cases very close to shore; often dropping in at ~20-30 feet.

Sign up on the Blackboard at the doc is simple but don't assume that space will be available last minute.

When we were there I was quite disappointed that all the 3 Tank Dives to the Northern part of the island were cancelled due to the volume of groups visiting at the time.

The DM's at Buddy that manage the dives are excellent. Relaxed approach in most cases.

Timing of dives during the day is very nice. 8:30 for a dive back at 10ish allowing to join the next dive. Dive in the afternoon. Overall lets you explore the island and shore dive while at the same time get some off shore variety.

As I understand it staying at Buddies a certain number of boat dives are included in the cost. I've been told you can "trade in" these dives for alternate activities - caving for example but I have never explored this option myself.

All the dives we've done on Klein have been excellent. Buddy also does a dive to Hilma which saves the swim out which is a bonus from an Air/Gas perspective.

Buddies boats are in great shape and easy on and off with a good deal of room to "get ready" and they limit the number of divers I believe to 16.

Have I missed anything? :)

Buddy's does 2 tank boats every day from what I saw, not just up north.

Buddy's does 2 tank boats every day from what I saw, not just up north.
I'm not sure that's right.
Bulk of their boat dives are single-tank since dive sites are so close.
Two-tank dives are mostly done for GROUPS who decide they want them.
Groups get their own boat, I believe, not open to the public...

Back
Top Bottom