Buddy Dive resort questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've stayed at Buddy Dive several times. You forgot the volleyball games every Tuesday and Thursday.
And the breakfast buffet, while excellent, isn't really "free". It's included in some packages but you can opt out of it and save $10 or $15 per day per person. The new Van Den Tweel grocery makes it easy to have a decent breakfast, especially if you don't require a lot of hot food to get started with...

Richard,
You have a right to your opinion. But, most people we were diving with did like the resort. However, you make your trip the way you want. Right!

Volstorff5

Snip, snip...

People don't judge Bonaire dive resorts by the on-site restaurant food, most divers who post on the forum seem to prefer to 'eat around' at different places (not mostly at their resort), and I'm not sure the food anywhere on Bonaire is consistently rated as 'fantastic,' or that such is a realistic expectation. There was also a mention of 'mice dropping' in the living room one day. I found 'mice dropping' at home the other day! Rodents can invade most any place, and to make an issue of finding their 'pills' seems odd to me, at least.

Richard.

I tend to mostly agree with your past posts and try to be understanding of all God's little creatures but mouse "pills" are another story. Making an issue of this is not at all odd to me...just saying :buggy:

Lisa

Lisa:

Granted I've had pet rats & mice when I was a kid, and spent enough time in the 'country' growing up that I'm aware rodents are pretty ubiquitous wherever civilization goes (and there are plenty of native rodents, too).

None of us like rodents in our homes, where they may chew & expose wires, create fire hazards, damage property, etc...

That said, Mice Happen! I live in a house with 4 dogs and a cat, and yet, on occasion, I may find a mouse pill. Even in suburban and urban households where people might associate rodents with filth and neglect, they get into homes. You can poison, get a cat, try to seal off entry ways into homes, etc..., and knock the problem way down, but let a year or two go by, crawl up in your attic or check on top of cabinets, inside cabinets & other out-of-the-way places, and see if you can't turn up some tiny little black 'jelly beans.'

If there's a serious rodent infestation at a resort, that's serious business. But a few mouse pills one day? That can happen so easy at home if you know where to look and what for.

It's like someone telling me they saw a cockroach in their room. I've seen cockroaches in hospitals (finished off a dying one as I stepped outside my office today, now that I think of it). For that matter, I've seen a mouse a couple of times in the mental hospital where I work.

Richard.

Richard's comments appear to be in response to a recent TripAdvisor review of Buddy Dive. I'm guessing he's guessing this is the TA review Volstorff5 claims to have posted above. (It's hard to tell without clarification from Volstorff5 because there's no TripAdvisor review posted under the same username.) Anyhoo... the TA review posted by "smalber" mentions "The last day we were there I found mice dropping in the living room." I've never seen a mouse on Bonaire, nor heard of anyone who has, but I've met plenty of folks that have done battle with cockroaches. So continuing with the guessing theme, I'm guessing they saw a cockroach pellet, which is a common occurrence in living spaces on Bonaire. A quick internet search shows that they look similar. I've encountered cockroaches at Buddy Dive and a couple of other Bonairean properties over the years, this despite regular spraying of pesticide and good housekeeping practices. It's part of life in the Caribbean... just like A/C in bedrooms only.

We've stayed at Buddy Dive and Lion's Dive (now the north section of Buddy Dive) several times over the years. We found the staff to be awesome and the rooms to be average. Our biggest complaint about the rooms was lack of natural ventilation for some units due to unit layout and lack of screens on east and west doors and windows. Like others have mentioned we were also frustrated that we didn't know what room we'd be staying in until we arrived. As a result our first stay at Buddy was awesome, and the last was, well, our last.

We still stop by Buddy Pool Bar on Fridays at happy hour for Moogie, rum punch, and visits with our old friend Murphyn Henar. Anyone who says Buddy's DMs can't/won't show them critters has never spent an hour underwater with Murph. I'm not sure how long he's been at Buddy Dive, but I know it's been at least 16 years since we first dove with him there. Back then we dove from the little "Buddy" boat that's now part of the landscaping when you enter the property.

I have had very similar experiences. If the room is right on the ocean with a view and a breeze I've been happy. If near the parking lot with no view and no air circulation, not so much. If you are looking for high end accomodation and service, go elsewhere.

The dive op however is outstanding and Murphin is one of a kind. I always try to arrange to go out on his boat if possible. He is a great dive master and a good person.

"If it flies it Dies" is on my family crest. Skip the flip flop, throw an oversized fly swatter in your bag. Better yet, go to Tong Fong store, couple doors down from KFC on Kaya Something and invest in a battery powered bug swatter - $4.99 USD. (And many thanks to another SB and BT member whom we had the pleasure of meeting at Sand$$ for that tip.) I don't relish killing, but a couple nights of buzzing in my ear keeping me awake, yeah, this thing is the best!

IMG_1894[1].jpg

Murph posted pics on FB a bit back of Buddy when it was a shack on the waters edge. He is fantastic as are a bunch of the crew, even the younger guys - Zimba, Guen and Carlos (miss him!) have taken a page from the Murph book - go slow, look around and are a lot of fun topside. Magda who mans the omelet/waffles for breakfast is a gem, a study in efficiency as she manages the griddle. Dennis never fails with a smile and a "Good Morning, how are you to-day?" John and Suzy are readily available to help identify what ever oddity we see, those are the reasons we vote with our wallet.

There is a thread here about mold in the rooms at BDR. My wife has laid down the law that we won't be staying there again because of the problem. We have stayed here three times bty.

Dan, It's the Caribbean man, hot and humid. I don't think I've ever stayed anywhere on Bonaire where there hasn't been some mold. To avoid it, you will need to look for new construction.

Lisa:

Granted I've had pet rats & mice when I was a kid, and spent enough time in the 'country' growing up that I'm aware rodents are pretty ubiquitous wherever civilization goes (and there are plenty of native rodents, too).

None of us like rodents in our homes, where they may chew & expose wires, create fire hazards, damage property, etc...

That said, Mice Happen! I live in a house with 4 dogs and a cat, and yet, on occasion, I may find a mouse pill. Even in suburban and urban households where people might associate rodents with filth and neglect, they get into homes. You can poison, get a cat, try to seal off entry ways into homes, etc..., and knock the problem way down, but let a year or two go by, crawl up in your attic or check on top of cabinets, inside cabinets & other out-of-the-way places, and see if you can't turn up some tiny little black 'jelly beans.'

If there's a serious rodent infestation at a resort, that's serious business. But a few mouse pills one day? That can happen so easy at home if you know where to look and what for.

It's like someone telling me they saw a cockroach in their room. I've seen cockroaches in hospitals (finished off a dying one as I stepped outside my office today, now that I think of it). For that matter, I've seen a mouse a couple of times in the mental hospital where I work.

Richard.
Here in AZ, we have irrigation and roaches, huge cockroaches, "just happen". As much as I hate them, they are something I just have to deal with. Choose the least noxious treatment and move on. We even have cockroaches at our clinic, in a high end part of town here in AZ.
In other countries like Costa Rica and Tanzania, I expect to deal with geckos, ants, mosquitoes, maybe even monikers or wild parrots can be a problem. I remember one place in Africa that we had to be careful because of orangutans and birds that would steal from our vans.
As far as Bonaire, I stayed in a condo one block farther inland from the Golden Reef the last time I was there. It was a two bedroom, nice, full kitchen, living room, porch, big yards. Inexpensive but well maintained. Only drawback??we had to negotiate electricity with the owner. The first day, he came in and was going to tack on extra for our extra electric usage because we use the AC while sleeping and awake, not just while awake? This had never been discussed on our contract and we were staying, along with my parents, for two weeks! Adding the extra electric would have doubled our bill! Apparently, AC is something you're not supposed to actually use, except to quickly cool off your room, then use the small fan instead. The cost of electricity is whys they have those strange little instant but highly efficient hot water heaters in the showers. ( first time in Bonaire took us the whole week to figure out how to get hot water!)
i guess electric is very expensive in Bonaire.
As far as mosquitoes, we have always used Cactus Juice and reapplied often. I love it because it also gets gnats and other no see - ums. It also has a decent sun screen, nice texture, moisturizer and a nice, not too noticeable scent. It really seems to work for me, too.
I've also used the Cutters skin so soft scented stuff, which is okay but I'm not as fond of that stuff. For really brutal mosquitoes I pull out the biggest guns. My organic, eucalyptus/lemon oil spray. It's all natural, smells awful but I've never had a bug bite me, ever with that stuff on, not eve a deer or horse fly. It comes in a greenish/yellow bottle in the hunting department at Walmart or in I also find it in our natural foods store in the essential oils.

Richard, I really agree with a lot that you have to say. Those who want to be completely catered to might not find Bonaire to be their cup of tea. I've never been to Buddy Dive except for lunch and to dive their house reef for night or check out dives. I love their lunches! Great fried fish.
our first time in Bonaire we stayed at a not so nice place with little efficiency apartments. The mattresses were awful. The king sized mattresses had two single mattresses on the box spring so that there was a big crack in the middle which we were always falling into. It was unbelievably uncomfortable. The AC broke and the only person on the complex with the ability to fix it was my husband. Of course, we didn't get anything, not even a thank you, for the hour that he spent rebuilding the AC. Twice! This included pulling the darn heavy window unit out of the window by himself so that he could work on it and pulling a bucket full of mold out of it, too!
one day, the milk was soured ( yuck,blech!) when I went to take a drink at the breakfast buffet. Lets just say that was the only day we ate at the buffet instead of cooking our own eggs in our kitchenette!
But, we still had a wonderful, wonderful time full of memories and when it was time to decide on another vacation it wasn't hard to decide that we both wanted to go back to Bonaire. ( and find a different condo)
however, we are not the type of couple that expects full service, top of the line resorts when on vacation. We like casual, low key, shore diving areas, which is exactly what a lot of Bonaire provides.

Back
Top Bottom