Buddy Dive- Room suggestions, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpassov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have a map that shows the room locations at Buddy Dive?

Also, we are debating between the studio and the 1 BR apartment. Last year we stayed in the 1 BR apartment.
What are your thoughts on the Studio vs 1 BR. Does anyone have pictures of the two?
Which ones have been renovated? Are there pics that show before & after?

Thanks!

Excited to be planning our return to Bonaire!

We were just there, there was a map that I might have somewhere in my luggage - BUT it doesn't show specific type of room locations - and if I recall i didn't have a lot of luck with a commitment to a particular room number /location before arrival. We've stayed there twice, in 1 bedrooms both times - room 604 and 404. 604 is over on the "left" part and was not renovated I think, but it was fine, that was last year. It was actually bigger (I think maybe handicap access?) as it had a big shower and large hallway you walked in with a door to the bedroom. 404 is the room we just left yesterday. Still a 1-bedroom but the door opened right into the bedroom (no "hallway"), and bathroom was a lot smaller. However I think it was renovated (newer, less slippery tile, newer kitchen area) AND had an ocean view, right near the pool bar and over the 2 I would take 404 again. Even though we are a couple I like the 1-bedroom as it makes it not feel so much like a hotel room and gives you an option to be in separate spaces like if one of you wants to go to bed early, or wakes up early, or, Snores :) ... you have a whole other room to vacate to. However if you haven't been married >20 years and are on your honeymoon or something the studio would be fine :) LOL. Overall I love the casual vibe there so would be happy with any room, we never cooked but having a refrigerator was very nice.

We were just there, there was a map that I might have somewhere in my luggage - BUT it doesn't show specific type of room locations - and if I recall i didn't have a lot of luck with a commitment to a particular room number /location before arrival.

They seem to have a bizarre operating concept there, which is why I won't go back.

I've been there three times, once I had an "OK" two bedroom place, once I had a really nice second floor two bedroom place, and one time I had a place that looked and smelled like a storage room for old, wet gym socks and gave me a sinus infection that lasted for two weeks after I returned (I'm allergic to mold). They would never commit to any particular room or location when making reservations.

They're either going to need to upgrade the entire place to current, reasonable standards of maintenance, cleanliness and dryness, or they'll have to do without my business. I'm just not willing to put up wtith a crap-shoot for a vacation anymore.

flots

Last edited:
They're either going to need to upgrade the entire place to current, reasonable standards of maintenance, cleanliness and dryness, or they'll have to do without my business. I'm just not willing to put up wtith a crap-shoot for a vacation anymore.
They lost our future business after the first visit. It's a shame, because I otherwise really liked the place, but our room was downright dangerous. Fortunately I discovered Den Laman for about the same price, like staying in a Four Seasons versus a Motel 6, as long as you can live without the swimming pools and breakfast buffet.

We stayed in 401 last May. It was a 1 BR and I think it had been renovated. It served it's purpose, nothing exceptional, but we were there for the diving. We liked having the living room area to spread our gear out and prepare for the day of diving. We didn't do much cooking either but used the refrigerator.

We loved the house reef and the convenience of the drive thru tanks.

Just booked for end of July! Hopefully we will get an equal room to what we had last year.

As long as there is room to spread out, decent A/C and hot water, I don't really care about the decor. The dive op is very good as is the house reef. The breakfasts are OK but the breakfast setting, right over the water, is spectacular in my opinion. For me, these features, as well as the pools and drive through, more than make up for the rooms.

The problem is that Buddy Dive is comprised of two separate resorts.
The old Buddy Dive which is in good shape and
the old Lion's Den time share resort which has alot of issues.

By staying in a three bedroom you are guaranteed the "good side".
I would stay at Den Laman or the Belmar over a one or two bedroom at Buddy Dive...

As long as there is room to spread out, decent A/C and hot water, I don't really care about the decor. The dive op is very good as is the house reef. The breakfasts are OK but the breakfast setting, right over the water, is spectacular in my opinion. For me, these features, as well as the pools and drive through, more than make up for the rooms.
Unfortunately the "decent A/C" is limited to the bedroom at BD. That may be OK if there's a breeze or it's not too humid, but it can also be uncomfortable at times (we were on a ground floor unit and didn't get much of any breeze). Nothing like working on one's camera spread out in a huge air-conditioned living room at DL. I liked the breakfast at BD, convenient and a very nice view (except that I recall birds would flock to your plate whenever you went up for a refill on coffee or whatever). But it's also very comfortable to cook our own breakfast in the air-conditioned kitchen at DL, add some ice cubes to the OJ from the thru-the-door filtered ice maker, then sit outside on the ocean-view patio to eat it. Stick the dishes in the dishwasher when we're done and they're clean by the time we're back from the morning dives.

Only downside of DL is lack of an elevator for when your buddy breaks her ankle and can't make it up a flight of stairs. And no swimming pool, though I've heard you can use the one at Sand Dollar next door.

I kind of wish I were going back to Bonaire next month instead of stinkin' Cozumel :( - but the flights sure are better to Coz and I can get a nice room there that includes food and alcohol for less than what I'd pay for a 1BR at DL. Maybe next year...

I was there last summer, loved the experience. First booked a studio, but when I arrive found the studio to be really bare. So, went to the front desk and asked for an upgrade (well discounted, I might add) and got a one bedroom overlooking the pool with the perfect view. IMO, the food in Bonaire is terrible, so the extra space to cook and all that is well worth it. As well, all the studios seem to have weird pointless views.

Go with the 1 bedroom :)

IMO, the food in Bonaire is terrible
Really? Where did you eat? I've had lots of mediocre meals, even a few lousy ones, but I found the food improved greatly over the years and my most recent experiences were all good to excellent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom