Buddy Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BILLB

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
First, if you and your newfound (or assigned) buddy did not perform a through dive planning ritual then the dive is bound to be a diaster. But it takes more than just this alone (planning).

I have been assigned or assigned a buddy that even after a good dive planing session was totaly inept once in the water. I had them stir up the silt, shoot to the surface or simply swim off in directions unknown.

The key here is NOT to place yourself in danger just because your buddy chose to do so (or did not known any better).

If the buddy silts up the place you are more or less obligated in helping this diver to safety. If the diver shoots to the surface, you are obligated to do a safe ascent to check on the diver's condition.

If the diver simply takes off without and leave you, you are NOT obligated to go after them if you feel it will also place you in danger too (like losing track of where the anchor line is located).

Like it or not as a buddy you have a LEGAL obligation to your dive buddy. But, you have to excersize this obligation very defensively.

I have personally found that teamimg up with other instructors even if they have students works for me. If you have the luck of being assigned a buddy, make every effort to learn about this diver. It is NOT bad manners to ask the divemaster for a different mate if you feel the one your are with is simply not in your class. After all, its your money and you should get what you paid for. A nice relaxing dive.

I agree with you. I've had good and bad experiences. If I'm diving with a group and my buddy is an idiot I will notify the DM and let them deal with it. If I am alone and my buddy checks out for the surface I will ascend, check on them an abort dive rather than put myself in danger.

Scott

Is this true in all states/countries? I hadn't heard the legal side of it...what are we legally bound to do as a buddy?

I have been fortunate enough to not have had a inept buddy so far. I pray I never have one.

The legal aspect of buddy diving is not a subject I am qualified to comment on. I have read and followed several cases. One has the family of a deceased wife (husband was buddy) suing the in-law (settled out of court). Other has an a diver with a lung problem (kept secret from assigned buddy) die and the buddy was found to have some liability. Others like this have been throw out of court and one I read of recently found no one liable but the corporation that owns the boat was found 45% libel. Juries appear to be mostly unwilling to find a buddy liable in a sport that non divers find dangerous.

If I were a lawer or legal professional I would think the following makes good sense.

Dive defensively. Act in good faith but never act or respond beyond your trained capabilities. And most of all say nothing to anyone until the court date!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom