Budget accomodations in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sinbad the Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to be in Naples in April with the family visiting my inlaws. No way I'm going that far south and not diving. My goal is to do a 2 day run down to Largo alone and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for best budget way to stay one night. I know a shop in NC runs a hostel type palce you can sleep for $25 a night, anyone do anything like that in Key Largo? If not, can you tent camp at Pennekamp St park? Other ideas?

TIA

A few years ago I camped at Pennekamp for a few days while diving with a Key Largo op. It was fine, maybe lucky that I got a nice site close to the showers. I would do it again.

Camping is a really nice way to do the keys cheap... But the summer is downright unbearable unless you have some sort of AC....

Marco and I went down 2 years ago for the 4th and dove off his boat, I would of killed myself if he hadn't brought a window AC unit and set it up in the front of the tent.... (Almost all the sites have power outlets)

They book the sites online and they tend to fill up early... lots of folks drive down R/V's and spend weeks on the cheap....

A lodge setup like Olympus has in N.C., or Dive Outpost would be killer....! $25/night for a bunk with access to a full kitchen and fridge; I'd be all over it....

Thanks all, Chris I'll be in touch once I get the timing a little more firm.

Time of year makes a huge difference as it seems KL rates double in season. We usually save a few dollars by staying in Florida City the first or last night as it can run 1/2 or more off. (yes you have to get up a little but earlier / but 100 bucks is 2 steak dinners or an extra dive!)

we stayed at the sunset cove. it is really inexpensive as the "rooms" are pretty makeshift and we dove with chris at silent world. That is as reasonable a trip as you can get.

Time of year makes a huge difference as it seems KL rates double in season. We usually save a few dollars by staying in Florida City the first or last night as it can run 1/2 or more off. (yes you have to get up a little but earlier / but 100 bucks is 2 steak dinners or an extra dive!)

I'm going to be at the inlaws in Naples for the week. Going to run down in the morning, dive all day, stay the night, dive the second day, drive back to Naples. I'm using the money saved for that to dive Epcot when we stop at Disney on the way down.

The Hungry Pelican, which I believe now is just called The Pelican Motel has two rooms that are the size of walk-in closets. They are literally no bigger than a double bed, a space to walk, a hanging TV, and a bathroom. They are clean and usually about $60 a night with breakfast included. Also, they are at MM 100, so one can walk to Sharky's and stumble back without much problem. :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom