Bühlmann ZH-L16 and M-values

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Novo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am reading Deco for Divers and at some point it states that in in Bühlmann ZH-L16 "M-Values were mathematically derived from the half-times based on the tolerated surplus volumes and solubilities of the inert gases".

Can anyone please explain me the concept of tolerated surplus volumes?

Thanks.

So in that model, M-values were derived from half-times based on M-values? This sounds like an egg or chicken paradox...
LOL. You need to read a bit deeper....and remember that a "tissue" can only hold so much gas (over ambient pressure) before it comes out...which is the problem that the limits are trying to prevent. Haldane's original work thought it was a factor of 2 over ambient, but he was looking at total gas pressures, not PPN2, which si what is relevant. Since N2 is 79% of air, that become an overpressere of 1.58. Keep reading!

LOL. You need to read a bit deeper....

I do not doubt!

and remember that a "tissue" can only hold so much gas (over ambient pressure) before it comes out...which is the problem that the limits are trying to prevent. Haldane's original work thought it was a factor of 2 over ambient, but he was looking at total gas pressures, not PPN2, which si what is relevant. Since N2 is 79% of air, that become an overpressere of 1.58.

This is clear from what I read so far. I am just trying to understand the difference between M-values and the "tolerated surplus volumes" used to derive them.

I do not doubt!

This is clear from what I read so far. I am just trying to understand the difference between M-values and the "tolerated surplus volumes" used to derive them.
The amount of gas I can shove into a tissue is the tolerated surplus volume (of gas). It is experimental. Any additional gas in not tolerated.

If you can read Deutsch and have an extra hundred $$s to drop on Tauchmedezin, please find out where Herr Dr Buhlmann pulled that stuff out from and report back. I too would like to know how he came up with magic fudge constant that, multiplied by tissue compartment's half-time, gives the almost-right M-values for both helium and nitrogen.

In order to on-gas a compartment, there should be a differential pressure between the outside pressure and the pressure in the compartment. The same to off-gas. So, to off-gas a compartment the outside should have a lower pressure than the compartment. If the outside pressure is too low the gas in the compartment can start to form bubbles. The M-value is the maximum differential pressure that a compartment can withstand without forming bubbles during the off-gassing process.
This M-value depends on the compartment and the pressure. Workman modelized this as a linear function for each compartment.

Workman modelized this as a linear function for each compartment.
As a linear function of what?

Captura de pantalla 2020-04-27 16.46.12.png
As a linear function of what?
For each compartment the M-value is a linear function depending of the ambient pressure.

Back
Top Bottom