Building a DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I took the difficult task to design and build a DPV about 17 years ago . It would have been much easier to copy and use parts from Apollo and tekna than starting from scratch .Trial and error and gained knowledge finally gave me good results . I think it turned out to be a real workhorse with potential that differs from the standard tow DPV . regards Charles

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 365
  • IMGA0168.JPG
    IMGA0168.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 305
  • IMGA0157.JPG
    IMGA0157.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 267
  • IMGA0185.JPG
    IMGA0185.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 302
  • IMGA0187.JPG
    IMGA0187.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 264
  • IMGA0239.JPG
    IMGA0239.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 294
  • IMGA0149.JPG
    IMGA0149.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 281
  • IMGA0161.JPG
    IMGA0161.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Bloody brilliant Mr Bart.

She would sit proud in any vintage drivers hands.

Who's gonna cook your spaghetti and your lobsters now?

It pulls 30 amps at maximum load and has a 55 amp hour battery so having a 100 minute run time at full power . Having 55 pounds of thrust it should be close to other motor rated DPV,s . estimated speed . Regards Charles

Beautiful. Real classic styling.

Can you comment on the thinking behind some of the more unusual design decisions (like the offset motor)?

That's cool!

Ingenuity and creativity are sadly lacking in this country but you give me hope! There are tens of thousands of people building their own aircraft but no one building dpv's. Why is that?
Great job and I hope you have many hours of fun with it (looks like you already have).
I have built one in the past that has now been shelved for an improved (I hope) design more like yours.
Again, great job and keep up the good work!

Harrison

That is inspiring, I have often thought of taking on that project, but haven't, yet. Great job.

To answer some of your questions Gsk3 where the motor is located and in that position , it has been designed as a external thruster diver craft . The biggest problem has been the upward torque , so having the thrust close as possible to the hull has eliminated most of that problem . I screwed up with that shroud , wanted to improve the look , but restricting the water intake flow . You can dive it with no tow lines , and it cruises the surface well . Built some steering linkage with good results , shooting for tandem diver craft .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom