Building a polespear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cast

Registered
Reaction score
I am building a 5-7feet polespear for the small fish. mainly seabass and tautog in the NE. Tautog has very hard skin. So I figiure a very thin version of polespear would work great. I plan to use a stainless steel heavy duty wire as the tip(not thicker than a common screwdriver,but 2 feet long) and something that could hold it straight as the shaft(maybe fiberglass or thin aluminum pipe)

My question is where to find these materials? Any help would be appreciated.

cast:
I plan to use a stainless steel heavy duty wire as the tip.

Check your local hobby store - thin stainless (and non-stianless) steel rods are used extensivly in RC aircraft for rudder/throttle controls, landing gears, etc. Most hobby stores should carry a variety of diameters, and they should be available in stainless. They should also have a varety of mounting brackets, some of which may be adaptable to your use. Some hardware stores, especially those who deal with welding, should also carry simular rods.

Hope this helps.

Bryan

If you just use standard ss it is going to bend like crazy without being heat treated. Go to spearfishing.cc and look at Ray Odor's polespears. He also has tip extensions exactly like what you're talking about for some ideas.

A pole spear was my first DIY project as a greenie. Think I was 12 and man was I proud of the flounder and trigger fish that I terrorized around Panana City! Mine was just a 7/16" piece of aluminum rod that we threaded on one end for the frog gigger tip. Drilled a whole in the other end for the elastic sling. Man, that must have been the bug that bit me with this DIY stuff!

Good luck and let's see some pics of the project.

WD

Meant to add, onlinemetals.com should have whatever you need. They sell small quantities, too. I've bought alot from them.

WD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom