Building a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why is the tank in that position? How will the hoses be routed? Is that the best rotational angle within the mount? Are you sure you have the best access to the tank valve when the regulator is placed on the pony?
Hose goes up to the mount, clips to a pull style release/holder, under the arm, up to the right chest d-ring. A standard 36" hose gives full head rotation with no pull when a 110/70° swivel is on the 2nd. Valve is accessed the same as reaching for your butt dump. I don't have a better picture right now than this.

20240306_154145.jpg

I think I would prefer a 90 clockwise turn of the upside down bottle.
I tried that and it did not work well for me. The valve then turns in/out instead of front/back. My joints didn't like how I had to manipulate them to turn out. This way you reach back in a normal relaxed position and your thumb/palm land on the valve for turning it. Again, that's just my experience with it.

Why is the tank in that position? How will the hoses be routed? Is that the best rotational angle within the mount? Are you sure you have the best access to the tank valve when the regulator is placed on the pony?
Great questions! Inverted to have better access to the valve. The answer to the other questions are TBD as I experiment with it. I appreciate the @Boarderguy input. This is just a starting point for carrying alternate air. I might hate it and start slinging it before the summer’s over. Who knows.

I would move the bottle to the other side of your back gas so the reg is inward and protected. Get a DIN reg ASAP.

Why the need to have access to the pony valve during a dive? My back mount pony is fully open and charged and ready for use if needed. If there is an emergency then I am headed to the surface.

Why the need to have access to the pony valve during a dive? My back mount pony is fully open and charged and ready for use if needed. If there is an emergency then I am headed to the surface.
I've had mine free flow while in current and on the trigger. Nice to just reach back and turn it down a bit. Average dive I'll just turn it in enough to keep it charged and go full on when I'm heading up, at my stops, or run into a problem. Different stroke for different folks.

Get a DIN reg
Inverted like mine , except the pony has a Mk2 DIN and G250 or S600 2nd.
AS above, DIN.

I started the same way, and ended up slinging it, or more specifically, side-mounting it. I grew tired of the slight imbalance hovering in wrecks. When scootering, might be a whole different ball of wax.

This is not pointed at anyone in particular, but why is there criticism of @Boarderguy ‘s dive rigging?. Everyone’s kit probably evolves over time and this is his happy place in that evolution. So why would anyone suggest he is wrong for liking it that way? This isn’t the DIR forum, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom