Bull Sharks - GoPro Hero 4 Silver & Backscatter Filters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaHankNYC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last weekend I traveled to Playa del Carmen to dive with Bull Sharks. They are only in season between December and March. I shot this footage on a Gopro Hero 4 Silver (1080P, 60fps, -1EV) and Backscatter filters. I left the ISO in auto and I get some flickering of color. I'm wondering if I should set ISO to maybe 3000K or better? Would that change make a difference?

Hi Henry - no great suggestions on ISO, but great footage....thanks for sharing How deep were you on this dive and what filter (depth rating) were you using? Just curious re: how some of the footage had a yellow tint to it.

Chris

Are you allowed to mount a gopro on a stick at these dives? Or will a shark mistake it for a feeding treat and chomp it - risking the divers?

Thanks

Hi Henry - no great suggestions on ISO, but great footage....thanks for sharing How deep were you on this dive and what filter (depth rating) were you using? Just curious re: how some of the footage had a yellow tint to it.

Chris
Thanks! We were at 80-85ft. I used the Backscatter's 50+ filter most of the shots. When I pointed the camera up towards the sun, I flipped to the 20-50ft filter.

Are you allowed to mount a gopro on a stick at these dives? Or will a shark mistake it for a feeding treat and chomp it - risking the divers?

Thanks

My camera sits on a tray. So, that was not an issue for me. However, during the pre-dive briefing, the feeder instructed people with go pro's on a stick to make sure they don't extend it. Also, they feed the Bull Sharks by hand... well, the dive shop I used.

Last weekend I traveled to Playa del Carmen to dive with Bull Sharks. They are only in season between December and March. I shot this footage on a Gopro Hero 4 Silver (1080P, 60fps, -1EV) and Backscatter filters. I left the ISO in auto and I get some flickering of color. I'm wondering if I should set ISO to maybe 3000K or better? Would that change make a difference?

Cool video.

I think you're mixing terms. ISO is "film" speed. Typical values would be 100, 200, maybe up to as high as 1600. 3000K is a color temperature, which would be associated with White Balance, not ISO.

I don't know if the GoPro has a way to set the WB to a specific value, but if it does, then you might be better to choose one and set it to that, instead of Auto. That ought to stop color changing during the filming. If you're going to do post-processing, including color correction, then you might want to turn on ProTune mode and, if you can ,set WB to some specific number (say 5000?). Then also make sure get a white or photo grey surface in the video to base your post-processing color correction on.

Cool video.

I think you're mixing terms. ISO is "film" speed. Typical values would be 100, 200, maybe up to as high as 1600. 3000K is a color temperature, which would be associated with White Balance, not ISO.

I don't know if the GoPro has a way to set the WB to a specific value, but if it does, then you might be better to choose one and set it to that, instead of Auto. That ought to stop color changing during the filming. If you're going to do post-processing, including color correction, then you might want to turn on ProTune mode and, if you can ,set WB to some specific number (say 5000?). Then also make sure get a white or photo grey surface in the video to base your post-processing color correction on.

Yes, I typed ISO in error. I should have typed White Balance.
Thanks for the tip on obtaining a white/grey surface to help white balance!!!

Hi Henry, I was told to use a HD memory card in he GoPro to prevent any skipping. Not sure if this is true but hope it helps. I liked your video!

Hi Henry, I was told to use a HD memory card in he GoPro to prevent any skipping. Not sure if this is true but hope it helps. I liked your video!
Yes, I'm using a HD card recommend on Gopro's site.

Back
Top Bottom