Bungee for DSS Suunto SK-7 Compass Boot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I ordered a DeepSeaSupply Suunto SK-7 Compass Boot in the mail. Very nice piece of engineering. (I also got a couple of DSS Delrin Thumbwheels, which are very easy on the fingers compared to SS wingnuts.)

I started off having a heck of a time getting the 3/16 bungee threaded through the holes. I tried cutting the bungee off and burning the end to keep it from fraying, but the bulkiness of the burnt plastic wouldn't go through the holes. I managed to make it easier by wrapping the end with scotch tape, then cutting it and wrapping it again. Then I dipped the end in dish soap and it threaded through very easily. Definitely the way to go.

Now that I have the 3/16 bungee installed, it seems so stiff that it will be difficult to pull over the sleeve of my drysuit. I'm wondering if 1/8" bungee might be better because it has much more "give". Has anyone found the same thing with 3/16" bungee? Wondering if perhaps the 3/16" bungee I have is just too stiff.

Definitely go with the 1/8th. I'm not the expert on these things like Tobin is but I distribute his boots for him in Ontario. In fact, I'm surprised you got the 3/16 through there at all. Save yourself a lot of hassle and just throw some 1/8th through there.

Those boots look interesting. Just out of curiosity, is it easy to disassemble the stock SK7? And do people usually go with the "straight" boot or "tilted" one?

Once I came up with the idea to wrap the end with tape and lubricate it, it was pretty easy to install the 3/16" bungee. It only took a few minutes. That said, it's way too stiff so I think I'll give the 1/8" bungee a try.

My SK-7 came apart quite easily, but apparently that isn't always the case.

I installed the 3/16" bungee with the lubber line at 90 degrees, but I think I'll angle it when I install the 1/8" bungee.

Daryl Morse:
Once I came up with the idea to wrap the end with tape and lubricate it, it was pretty easy to install the 3/16" bungee. It only took a few minutes. That said, it's way too stiff so I think I'll give the 1/8" bungee a try.

My SK-7 came apart quite easily, but apparently that isn't always the case.

I installed the 3/16" bungee with the lubber line at 90 degrees, but I think I'll angle it when I install the 1/8" bungee.

Daryl,

Your tape / lube trick sounds great. I might just have to sneak that into the next version of the instructions.

What I usually do is heat the end of the bungee, and before it cools roll it between my fingers. If you do it quickly it only hurts for a little while:D

Leaves the ends no larger than the rest of the bungee.

I have found the angled mount to work best for me.

Regards,

Tobin

I to had a slight problem with the 3/16" bungee but made it through by twisting it while pushing it through. For the little bit of difference, I would have gone with the 1/8". Mine isn't too stiff.

I didn't have an troubles getting the compass apart. The bezel and ring came off fairly easy by hand. For the compass I started it by hand at the window and then put a small flat blade screwdriver through the window and under the module.

One problem that I have had is the compass module spinning when I turn the bezel. I think what happened was that it was out in the sun for a few hours and the boot expanded just enough. It didn't do this when I first put it together.

I just got one on Friday as well, and used 3/16". The ends on my bungee that were already melted were 'mushed' out too wide, so I had to cut them off, and melt the outer wrapping only, so as to make a narrower end. Then by using a flat tool from my multitool, I managed to press the ends down into the holes far enough to grab with pliers. To keep them in, I put a ziptie around the end and tucked those up into the little recess on either side.

As for disassembly, mine was in a console mount. I soaked it in very hot tap water for a while, and the bezel and ring came right out. However I couldn't for the life of me get the compass part out. Finally I just got some small wire cutters and cut a notch in the left and right side where the material is thinnest. Problem solved, out came the compass.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/25082/cat/533/page/1
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/25081/cat/533/page/1
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/25080/cat/533/page/1
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/25079/cat/533/page/1

I ended up going with the 1/8" bungee and I angled the mount. I dove with it today and it works great. What an improvement over the factory mount!

Nice design, Tobin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom