Bungee Wrist-Mount for Depth Gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'd like to take the analog depth gauge out of my console and wear it on my wrist. I saw a unit that uses two bungee cords, but I don't know who makes it or where to get it. Are these things some kind of standard size?

sambolino44:
I'd like to take the analog depth gauge out of my console and wear it on my wrist. I saw a unit that uses two bungee cords, but I don't know who makes it or where to get it. Are these things some kind of standard size?
It's very easy to make one. Just use a standard compass wrist boot, Used is OK - in fact, better.

bungiethingy.jpg

Just cut the wrist straps off and drill a couple of small holes - run your bungie cord , knot it and that's it.
bungiethingy.jpg

CIBDiving:
It's very easy to make one. Just use a standard compass wrist boot, Used is OK - in fact, better.

bungiethingy.jpg

Just cut the wrist straps off and drill a couple of small holes - run your bungie cord , knot it and that's it.
bungiethingy.jpg

What size bunjee is used in your photo? Is it two seperate pieces of cord or one?

I want to make one of these for my compass. I am on the verge of ripping the strap in half from tightening it.

It's two seperate cords, 1/8" IIRC. I used two in case one pulled through. If I were doing it over, I'd use a few small stainless washers to spread the load out under the knots.

can be seen here

They're very reasonably priced, lower profile than the Suunto SK7 compass boot (the only one I've personally compared them to), and just great in every way, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps best of all is the customer service that comes with them. Tobin is a member of this board (CoolHardware_52, although I may be off on the spacing, capitalization and/or underscoring) and seems to be signed on and ready to help most every day.

If I were interested in putting an analog depth gauge into a bungeed wrist boot the very first thing I would do is send Tobin a PM/email or give him a call (the info's on the website) and ask his advice. From past experiences and hearing the experience of others, if it can be done he'll let you know exactly what you should purchase and offer to either make or guide you through making any modifications needed to make it work, or let you know that his product won't work without any attempt whatsoever at a sale that isn't in your best interest.

And no, I'm not affiliated with DSS in any way other than being a satisfied customer and having dived with Tobin once, where he very graciously towed me around behind him on his X-Scooter.

Good luck,

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for the kind words.

I know I had a blast last spring in La Jolla, glad to hear you enjoyed it also. I was just down at La Jolla Shores a couple weeks ago, beautiful spot.

Tobin

sambolino44:

Sam,

The mounts we make are pretty specific. Other instruments might fit, but I would be surprised if an analog depth gauge would.

I have a Scuba Pro Analog gauge that I removed from a console, that I used to carry as a backup depth guage. It is way to small in diameter to fit in our wrist mounts.

As others has stated already in this thread you can often modify a wrist mount for use with bungee. Is there a OEM wrist mount sold for your guage?

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Sam,

The mounts we make are pretty specific. Other instruments might fit, but I would be surprised if an analog depth gauge would.

I have a Scuba Pro Analog gauge that I removed from a console, that I used to carry as a backup depth guage. It is way to small in diameter to fit in our wrist mounts.

As others has stated already in this thread you can often modify a wrist mount for use with bungee. Is there a OEM wrist mount sold for your guage?

Tobin

Tobin,
Thanks for the reply; that's exactly what I needed to know. My console and gauges are old U.S. Divers, and apparently they don't make that stuff anymore. Probably never did, only re-branded it, but I don't know how to find out who the OEM was. It looks like a compass mount might work, I was just hoping to find something that doesn't stick out so far.

By the way, how did you carry your spare Scubapro depth gauge, just loose in your pocket?

If anybody out there has done this before, and has some tips about removing the console boot from the SPG, I'd appreciate it.

This whole endeavour is based on the premise that you can actually use the SPG with no boot, or at least replace the console with a small boot. If anybody knows a reason why that won't work, speak now!

sambolino44:
By the way, how did you carry your spare Scubapro depth gauge, just loose in your pocket?

I wrapped a few turns of #24 line around the gauge, and then applied aquaseal over the line. I tied the line to a bolt snap so I could clip it off in my pocket.

I have Uwatec BT, and now also carry a Suunto Vyper as a back up. Clipped off via the bungee on the mount. I like the download feature of the Vyper, lets me see how well I followed the plan, and my stops.

sambolino44:
If anybody out there has done this before, and has some tips about removing the console boot from the SPG, I'd appreciate it.

Hot tap water usually helps soften up rubber boots.

Tobin

Now, if you really wanted to make my day, Tobin, you'd come up with a reliable way to convert my Uwatec SmartTec to a bungee mount!

Back
Top Bottom