Bungeed Dual bladder BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matsya, I also read your other post about planning to take the DIR class. All the disadvantages are explained in the DIR fundamentals book. You may need a dual bladder wing if you take a tech class and can't swim your rig to the surface. DIR prefers a drysuit instead of a dual bladder wing.

TheRedHead:
Matsya, I also read your other post about planning to take the DIR class. All the disadvantages are explained in the DIR fundamentals book. You may need a dual bladder wing if you take a tech class and can't swim your rig to the surface. DIR prefers a drysuit instead of a dual bladder wing.

Thanks TheRedHead.
I am wondering if I have not been clear. As much as I don't want to mention DIR here, I am not left with much alternative.
I am aware of DIR preferences and recommendations and intend following them in both letter and spirit when I take the class.
What I wanted to know was if there are any non-DIR views on dual bladder wings. That is why I specifically did not mention anything about DIR.

I have never taken a DIR class and I had to use a dual bladder wing for a TDI class. As for a dual bladder wing, you don't need it with a drysuit as the drysuit provides redundant inflation. You would need it with a wetsuit and a rig heavy enough to prevent you from swimming to the surface in case of a bladder leak. Diving below 200 feet, you need a drysuit even in warm water because of the long decompression times. At least I would want one.

fwiw - here are the various advantages/disadvantages I've heard/read that I can remember.

Bungee Advantages:
1) better streamlining due to wing being drawn closer to body
2) easier venting due to the positive pressure of the bungees

Bungee Disadvantages:
1) creating a rough surface decreases streamlining
2) potential entaglement hazard.
3) more potential for trapping air between the "folds" in the wing created by the bungees.
4) possibly more difficult to inflate oraly (disputed by those who have actually done so however)

Dual Bladder Advantages:
1) redundant lift
2) required in some classes if not diving dry

Dual Bladder disadvantages:
1) more taskloading
2) more "parts" to potentially go wrong
3) if an inflator begins leaking you must determine which one is doing the inflating, taking more time to solve the problem (easily solved by only connecting 1 inflation hose only)

My personal reason for not choosing this type of rig is simplicity - anything with more parts in my opinion has more ways to cause trouble.

Seems like everyone has thought out good reasons for either why they are good or bad... which leaves you to make the decision of which direction you want to go in your training (which it sounds like you already have - good luck with Fundies, you'll have a blast)

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom