Bungie and Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I wandered home depot today and went looking for #24 nylon line (to tie things with) and bungies. Couldn't find either. Now I may just have gone to a not so stocked Home depot, but how where do people get just bungies that don't have hooks to tie things off or make a necklace for an octo with. Also, how thick are the bungies you use? All the nylon line I found was #18 or #36 but nothing inbetween. What hardware stores (if at all) can you generally find these seemingly normal hardware things at?

I like 3/32" bungee for a necklace. You can buy it by the foot at good technically oriented dive shops and at good hardware stores. However, for short lenghts, it is actually cheaper to buy a $4-$5 bag of bungees and cut the ends off.

The difference between braided #18 and #24 is not all that great and #18 is usually available in 500' lenghts as surveyor line, etc. for very little money.

I buy bungie at REI -- they have the thick stuff, and the thinner shock cord. But I buy my cave line from a dive shop.

These guys have alot of stuff--here's a link to the bungee page, haven't looked but I bet they have line too...

TECHDIVINGLIMITED.COM

I go through Scuba equipment, Dive gear, reefscuba.com, Manufacturer of scuba diving equipment. Buy brass hardware, stainless steel hardware, surgical tubing, latex surgical tubing, bungee cord, parachute cord, Waterborne watch bands, SEACURE mouthpieces, velcro for bungee and certain line/webbing/etc. I get the #18 braided from home depot in yellow/green for reels/spools/etc.

my source for tubular webbing is usually dive rite express cause I am usually ordering other stuff there anyway but I will go through Custom Straps, Nylon & Polypro Webbings, Metal & Plastic Buckles at Strapworks.com too.

my snaps come from Nix dog collars unless they are specialty/low volume and then its from reef scuba but I tend to keep 5-10 of each size stainless snap on hand.

latex tubing comes from reef scuba too but I have not ordered that in a while in favor of bungee.

that about covers basic hardware.

Hi, I wandered home depot today and went looking for #24 nylon line (to tie things with) and bungies. Couldn't find either. Now I may just have gone to a not so stocked Home depot, but how where do people get just bungies that don't have hooks to tie things off or make a necklace for an octo with. Also, how thick are the bungies you use? All the nylon line I found was #18 or #36 but nothing inbetween. What hardware stores (if at all) can you generally find these seemingly normal hardware things at?

Clammy,

PM me your address and I'll mail you ~10-12 ft of #24 nylon line. That's enough to tie off your bolt snap etc.

We buy the line in 5 lbs spools that are about 4250 ft long, but the line is not guaranteed to be continuous, so we end up with some odd ball lengths when we are winding line onto spools.

We include these line remnants with our Hogarthian Harness kits so divers setting up their first rig will have some line to tie off their bolt snaps.

I'll grab a remnant and stick it in the mail.

Tobin

You rock Tobin!!! That is such a great thing to do on so many levels. It sure beats wasting line, it gives divers what they need when they buy your products, and it's a generous thing to do from one diver to another.

As far as bungies go, I found some at a marine/boat store. I've also seen some at sporting goods stores in the climbing section.

Though I occasionally find braided twine at Home Depot, most of it is twisted. I get my braided twine from Memphis Net and Twine. One order and you're set for life. As for a good place to pick up bungee locally (well, depends if you have a local one), I ditto REI.

Roak

West Marine (or similar sailing oriented places) is good for short lengths of bungie. Not the cheapest but you're only buying a couple feet.

for bungee, rei. yeah, it's 2 hours away, but...

for line, i found some in lowe's - it was carpenter chalk line for snapping a guide. and bonus, party...it's hot pink! pink braided #24...heaven.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom