Buoyancy of fat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Notso_Ken:
Personally, I'd rather have the weight on my belt, on my hips, than in my tank, weighting down my spine.
Don't reject steel tanks without looking closely at the total configuration. Most steel tanks are both lighter, and more negatively buoyant than the equivalent aluminum tank. They are more negatively buoyant not because they weigh more, but because they are smaller and therefore displace less water.

So with a steel tank, the weight on your spine will be less, and at the same time your weightbelt will be less.

I think it is mainly a matter of taste. If you have the chance, try both and decide.
what I like about steel is that you do not carry so much weight in the belt/BCD, but it has a tendency to make you roll, as the weight is separated from your body, instead of around your waist. Not an issue when you get used to, but it feels strange at first

great info on this thread. i can't help thinking that it would be easy to turn it in to boy vs. girl thread. i'm female and have ample (natural) breast, which I now refer to as floaters. whenever i rent equip on trips i'm always having to tell the 'guys' i need more weights and they don't seem to understand.

it's always a bit of pain having to clarify with the 'guys' that i need more weights because i'm a women and have a bit more body fat - "ok, it may not look like it - but these are real and not filled with stones". (geez, i'm not trying to steal your lead weights - just need a couple more~~muscle guy (lol).)

just a frustration i've been dealing whilst trying to enjoy the sport.

I just saw this posting. INteresting topic. And I've got to say this is my favorite title I've seen for a thread.

ghpipefish:
great info on this thread. i can't help thinking that it would be easy to turn it in to boy vs. girl thread. i'm female and have ample (natural) breast, which I now refer to as floaters. whenever i rent equip on trips i'm always having to tell the 'guys' i need more weights and they don't seem to understand.

it's always a bit of pain having to clarify with the 'guys' that i need more weights because i'm a women and have a bit more body fat - "ok, it may not look like it - but these are real and not filled with stones". (geez, i'm not trying to steal your lead weights - just need a couple more~~muscle guy (lol).)

They don't understand? Geez. I think it's not fair, when we go swimming my wife floats nice and easy and I have to work like crazy to tread water. I sink like a rock. But I guess that's the difference between 14% and 36% body fat.

ghpipefish:

I don't have any dificulty believing you at all, I'm a big guy and without any scuba gear on I sink like a rock but once I put on a 7mm full wetsuit I require about 30lbs of lead to sink, and I get funny looks when I ask for that much lead but its what I need to sink. With a traditional BC and al80 tank.

Just stick to your guns and get your lead :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom