Buoyancy Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by O-ring

I am finding it somewhat hard to just "hover" and not move my fins at all...but when I move my fins some, they create some forward movement....any words of wisdom?

My tech instructors and dive buddies (also DIR divers, just like UP) can hover lwithout any discernable movement. I swear that one of them could fall asleep and maintain his position.

I'm also interested in the answer. So far, I can manage without much finning, but I need to adjust the position of my hands (closer and farther away from my body) and my legs (also back and forth) fairly regularly.

My tech instructors and dive buddies (also DIR divers, just like UP) can hover lwithout any discernable movement.

I guess I need a lot of work in that area. I mean, I can hover horizontally for a while, but there's no way I could do it completely motionless for 15 mins+.

Oh well, something to work on in the quarry this weekend before the class...my trim must be off...I think I am a little light in the feet then...maybe I will scoot my tank down a bit..although, I wonder if jetfins would be more negative than my Mares...

Originally posted by O-ring
How much fin movement do you have while holding these stops? Are you moving around in a circle type of thing, gradually moving forward, or really not moving at all/hovering?
I am trying to eliminate all movement but that is tough... especially with current & surge ect. Yesterday I wasn't really moving around much other that sloshing back and forth with surge and then current from an incoming ferry. I was doing this while within visual of the bottom so I could see if I was drifting across the bottom or not... and I pretty much just stayed in the same place.

I keep practicing because I know that if I can hold at stop without too many +/- one foot excursions when things are easy then I might have a chance to hold a decent deco stop when things are difficult. Shane and I have had our share of *ups & downs*... btw all of our ascents are free without holding a line.

My point is that you should use the end of your dive to practice holding stops. This is valuable time well spent IMO.

btw all of our ascents are free without holding a line.

My buddies and I do the same..there aren't too many lines to hold around here either...will see how they go when I get back in the ocean in a couple weeks and have to contend with current, surge, etc. again (haven't dove in salt since March :( )

The last deco dive Shane and I did we were drifting around our stops +/- 3 feet and even though that really didn't hurt the deco it certainly wasn't anything to be proud of... very sloppy... so I decided to discipline myself a little :wink:

I WILL GET GOOD AT THIS! OK, so I've only two non-class dives under my belt, and I'm really not that bad considering the number of dives I have BUT....

I cannot seem to even move forward more than two feet before my depth changes! Much less hover...tried it a couple times yesterday when we went out diving- but wasn't all that great. (And I'm talking more than a foot of difference! AHHH! I DO NOT want to be one of those divers who cannot seem to stay off the bottom, or the reef, or the....etc ect ect.)

Anyway, I will keep trying what y'all have suggested. Thanks for the hints!

Kristey

Back
Top Bottom