Buoyancy suggestions for 2kg macro rig (Nauticam carbon fiber arms, etc.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After years of struggling with some annoying negative buoyancy issues with my macro rig, I am thinking to invest into some better float arms to help with shooting.

Setup as follows for a total of about 2,000g (+/-) weight in air:
  • Nauticam LX10 housing (about 850g)
  • Panasonic Lumix 10 camera (about 300g
  • Nauticam CMC-2 macro lens (about 220g)
  • Backscatter Mini 2 + Snoot (about 420g)
  • Couple of double ball arms (about 100g)
FYI - I am using a vacuum pump on the housing, which means zero buoyancy compensation.

Currently I am using 4 non compressible foam float but that is not nearly enough for a balanced buoyancy and I can not add more floats as there is no space on the arms to attach.

Now, I am thinking about getting some fancy Nauticam carbon fiber arms. The hefty price tag and a possible challenge to hit actual neutral buoyancy with the right sized arms has kept me from going that route.

Any suggestions on how to easily increase buoyancy without breaking the bank or a sure fit carbon fiber setup given my current weight would be super appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I have an LX10 in a Nauticam housing, on a flexitray - my primary float is a +900g float placed horizontally in between the handles'ball ends, to which I cable-tie another +400g float, and can add others depending on the setup (wide or macro).
I don't shoot stills, only video, so need it to be almost neutral and balanced for wide angle.
For macro video I use a quadripod, so am a little more negative, but have floats on the light+snoot for comfort.

I got Puluz (Chinese) carbon floats online, they have a good sizing + inwater buoyancy chart, haven't had an issue with them.
This WP thread has a good discussion on rig buoyancy, and the LX10 is discussed.

Hope this helps
cheers
ben

Use a luggage scale and weigh your rig in the water. That way you know about how much buoyancy you need to add.
FYI - I am using a vacuum pump on the housing, which means zero buoyancy compensation.
?? Your rig should be slightly MORE buoyant if you have removed the weight of the air in it, but it is a very small, negligible effect. Pulling a vacuum does NOT make the airspace inside the housing smaller.

FYI, a vacuum weighs less than air/hydrogen/helium/CO2/Nitrox/TriMix in an equivalent closed space.

These and similar generic arms have found success on many folks rigs:

Hi, I have an LX10 in a Nauticam housing, on a flexitray - my primary float is a +900g float placed horizontally in between the handles'ball ends, to which I cable-tie another +400g float, and can add others depending on the setup (wide or macro).
I don't shoot stills, only video, so need it to be almost neutral and balanced for wide angle.
For macro video I use a quadripod, so am a little more negative, but have floats on the light+snoot for comfort.

I got Puluz (Chinese) carbon floats online, they have a good sizing + inwater buoyancy chart, haven't had an issue with them.
This WP thread has a good discussion on rig buoyancy, and the LX10 is discussed.

Hope this helps
cheers
ben
Thank you! I will check out the Puluz floats.

Use a luggage scale and weigh your rig in the water. That way you know about how much buoyancy you need to add.

?? Your rig should be slightly MORE buoyant if you have removed the weight of the air in it, but it is a very small, negligible effect. Pulling a vacuum does NOT make the airspace inside the housing smaller.

Weighted with a luggage scale and comes out to about 1.6kg wet.

I opted for the cheaper solution and added non compressible foam floaties. I am still quite negatively buoyant but its now better manageable.

After years of struggling with some annoying negative buoyancy issues with my macro rig, I am thinking to invest into some better float arms to help with shooting.

• Nauticam LX10 housing (about 850g)
  • Panasonic Lumix 10 camera (about 300g
  • Nauticam CMC-2 macro lens (about 220g)
  • Backscatter Mini 2 + Snoot (about 420g)
  • Couple of double ball arms (about 100g)

Currently I am using 4 non compressible foam float but that is not nearly enough for a balanced buoyancy and I can not add more floats as there is no space on the arms to attach.

Now, I am thinking about getting some fancy Nauticam carbon fiber arms. The hefty price tag and a possible challenge to hit actual neutral buoyancy with the right sized arms has kept me from going that route.

Any suggestions on how to easily increase buoyancy without breaking the bank or a sure fit carbon fiber setup given my current weight would be super appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
buy a small lift bag that you attach to it.

1706539958796.png

Back
Top Bottom