Buoyancy with Monster Tanks, and Other Newbie Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My mistake, my BC (Sherwood Avid CQR3) has 32 lbs lift. Leisurepro's site says 29, so I was going off that number, but the BC itself says 32. Using doubles/going into tech diving eventually is something I'm interested in, so maybe I should plan with that in mind. I hadn't heard of larger tanks rolling you when you slow down, that would be a huge downside. I'll be diving a steel 95 this weekend, so I guess if that feels pretty good then a HP100 would be the way to go.

I'm saving the drysuit for when I am more advanced and diving in colder waters. Looking like a badass astronaut sounds wonderful, but all the repairs, maintenance, and extra care compared to a wetsuit is putting me off more than the cost. Water temps around here are just 50-55, so neoprene serves pretty well.

I think Tracy has a good point about 32lb of lift possibly coming up short with 30lb of lead, but you still may be able to cut down on the lead. Even with a 7mm wetsuit 30lb sounds like a lot, but then again, this is just arm-chair internet advice, so take it for what it is. A drysuit can be had used relatively cheaply if you're patient. I found my DUI suit used on ebay for pretty cheap and have been learning how to do the maintenance and repairs by myself.

An LP95 is a good tank to try, but bigger and heavier than an LP85 or HP100 (both of which are relatively similar).

Yeah, so you can't just make assumptions like that. Different brands act differently, even if the same type of tank. An LP95 is a shorter, larger diameter tank than an HP100.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom