Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a bit higher than that among divers.
Back in the dark ages before I got married and started eating regularly I was several pounds negative in salt water, with just me and no gear.

Many more men than women are negative in salt water. Muscle and bone sink, fat floats. Men tend to have heavier bone structure and more muscle. Women who don't has some fat on them don't look like women.

Ya, women are fat. But you gals wear it well. Stick figures suck and sink. I'll take the curvy girl anyday, as a dive partner I mean. :)

I've dived with girls that sink and girls that float. I think everyone is built a little different, but there is probably a statistic to back Fred up.

As per http://www.psychobodybuilding.com/physiology1.html

specific gravity of fat = .92
specific gravity of lean body mass = 1.1 (so values closer to 1.1 indicate less fat)

And bone density now is a wild card but to loose a pound of bouyancy either gain 10lbs of lean body mass or loose about 11 lbs of fat or what ever combination you prefer

i read in a magazine that says, is better to be overweighted. and if you go down slowly in a Pool, i suggest you wear at least a weight to be safe in open water. sometimes, stronger current you can't stay too on surface. :dazzler1:

Back
Top Bottom