Buoys are going in!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunder Bay Minnow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Staff of the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary Home Page are busy!! Busy putting mooring buoys in!! I heard they had about a dozen in and aren't stopping! They hope to have nearly twice as many in this year as they have ever put in before!

I bumped into Wayne last night who works with NOAA and he showed me some pictures that made my jaw drop. Vis is UNBELEIVABLE!! Of course water temp was 37 degrees. He said on every wreck they have done so far, they have been able to see the entire wreck from the surface. So vis is at least 100ft.in Lake Huron. He showed me a picture of a 165' barge and you can see the entire barge end to end in the shot, which tells me he had to be about 150" away from it and it was a crystal clear picture. I will see if he will cough up a couple of shots to post to get you Great Lakes divers blood a pumping.

I drove through the parking lot at the marina this morning and there was Great Lakes Dive Charters boat in the parking lot! Woo Hoo!! . I see that the Dive Shop in Flint already has a trip planned up here and Divers Incorporated either does or is planning one.

The local Convention and Visitors Bureau has information on their website http://www.alpenacvb.com/scuba-diving-44/ but be sure to call or email them for the Diver Discount coupons. There are some good discounts and the 40 winks motel has a secure dry area for equipment storage and drying. I am working with the Thunder Bay Underwater Preserve Committee in trying to get a lot of this information and coupons up on a website, which will make things a lot more convenient.

Any questions, don't be afraid to get a hold of me!

Jeff

Last edited:
Last year lake Michigan was not very good for the shallower wrecks. We got 15 inches of rain in early May and the Lake never seemed to recover. This year is the polar opposite. We've got July viz in May!!! KickA**! I haven't dove the deeper stuff yet, but we routinely have 100+ viz over 100 feet deep. Looks like a great year.

Jim

Lower Lake Huron has been excellent also this spring. All the mooring bouys are set off of Sanilac...We ran up to the Artic last weekend also...Viz was awesome! We Also had 37 degree water a Thermoclime would be nice...Glad Alpena is getting ready also the dive season is here...everyone should get out there early and take advantage of the excellent viz around the state. Hope Lake michigan is better this year for you Swimjim...

I know Gary doesn't have any trips until next weekend.

Lower Lake Huron has been excellent also this spring. All the mooring bouys are set off of Sanilac...We ran up to the Artic last weekend also...Viz was awesome! We Also had 37 degree water a Thermoclime would be nice...Glad Alpena is getting ready also the dive season is here...everyone should get out there early and take advantage of the excellent viz around the state. Hope Lake michigan is better this year for you Swimjim...

I know Gary doesn't have any trips until next weekend.

Four Fathoms emailed me and said they will run this weekend.

FYI Huron Scuba Adventures has THREE trips planned to Alpena. Two Recreation and a TECH Trip!

When I stopped in at Divers Incorportated they were talking but I don't see anything on the calendar yet.

You know the Kyle Spangler is the latest and greatest for the TECH crowd. Thanks to Stan Stock the numbers got out last year. If anyone saw Joe Sobczaks video at some of the club meetings this past winter, it is quite a sight!

Just need to top off my argon bottle and get the camera ready. With all this talk of great vis, I guess it is time to bring out the big rig.

Four Fathoms emailed me and said they will run this weekend.

Just need to top off my argon bottle and get the camera ready. With all this talk of great vis, I guess it is time to bring out the big rig.

I may need a little arm twisting.

What wrecks were you thinking of??

and then I guess the group will decide on the second wreck.

The weather forecast for Saturday AM is looking great as far as the water. So common and go diving!

I may need a little arm twisting.

What wrecks were you thinking of??

We made it out this past weekend again with Four Fathoms...The Lake was bumpy but the diving was excellent! North Star and Regina on Saturday and the Regina again on sunday. Viz was excellent and the water temps are starting to rise. I had 42 degrees :) thats up from 37 degrees we had back on April 18th...Also the Regina seems to be breaking up a bit more and more each year...This season its more noticable that last.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom