Burial at sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Winters:
You can also get your ashes put in a skyrocket and light up the world one last time.
http://www.angels-flight.net/

Geez...a market for everything. Considering carbon footprints, more carbon on top of carbon may not be the best when saying to goodbye to folks who could now care less about earthly goods or feelings. Personally, I am going to be made into ashes and partially buried with my favorite pets in a pet cemetary. The alternate idea is to have my executors charter a large dive boat for a weekend and invite everyone to go diving!

Maybe, I can set it up so everyone goes for an entire month? Geez why not. I had a billionaire relative die and the only thing the old buzzard did was deed his money to organizations that glorify his memory and past corporate accomplishments - not a cent to Darfur, or the really needy. Not the way to go. But then again, you don't become super rich unless you are stingy and have given up most of your soul.

X

Charlie99:
The ceremony was also made memorable when, after the ceremony was completed, the XO asked the gunnery officer how many blanks the ship carried for the M14's the honor guard had used for the salute. "What blanks?", replied the gunnery officer.

The ship I was OIC of in SoCal performed a burial at sea on very short notice. We were miles from the nearest armory and we didn't have blanks for our M16's. I was a bit more fortunate to be able to scatter ashes downwind and fire the ceremonial rounds following the tradition of military burials at sea.

The casings, flag, and a chart with the coordinates were sent to the family.

My boss was not impressed with my decision to use live ammo - made me a true believer in the phrase "it's easier to get forgiveness than permission". I used live ammo in the next burial at sea as well:)

-s

Is that guy still taking ashes and making fish reefs with them? Mix the ashes in concrete then cast in the shape of a bell with little holes for fish to swim through. Not a bad idea.

RICHinNC:
Is that guy still taking ashes and making fish reefs with them? Mix the ashes in concrete then cast in the shape of a bell with little holes for fish to swim through. Not a bad idea.
These guys?
http://eternalreefs.com/

These living memorials are such crock! Ashes to sea I understand. Burial at sea I understand. The rest are cottage industries devoted to some trivial pursuit of eternal happiness embodied as a concrete thing-a-ma-bob!

I'm all for a Hindi cremation ceremony.

Attachments

• nepal.gif
    nepal.gif
    34.5 KB · Views: 191
Gilless:
The ship I was OIC of in SoCal performed a burial at sea on very short notice.
It was very short notice for us also. Comcrudeslant (the next command level up) just called up up and then delivered the ashes the evening before departure. I left the urn with a note on the XO's desk. The next morning I get a call from the XO accusing me of running some sort of prank that he just hadn't figure out yet. He wouldn't believe it was real until he personally called ComCruDesLant.

I'll leave it to your imagination as to why the XO immediately suspected me of setting him up for some sort of prank. :)

gert7to3:
I held the plastic bag with my mother-in-law's ashes underwater, then turned it inside out. I gave the GPS position and deemed it the start of a geologic journey for her when I announced it to other family members.
Not to take away from this serious thread, but I would like to do this with Mother-in-Law as well. Do I have to wait until she dies?

I have only been involved in one burial at sea and it was a fine moment for a fine fellow. My will specifies that I be spread over my favorite wreck up here in Tobermory... :D

Stoo:
Not to take away from this serious thread, but I would like to do this with Mother-in-Law as well. Do I have to wait until she dies?

I have only been involved in one burial at sea and it was a fine moment for a fine fellow. My will specifies that I be spread over my favorite wreck up here in Tobermory... :D

can we tie my ex to her too??

Back
Top Bottom