Burlington Scuba Shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmcd16

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought a dive computer at the Burlington Scuba shop in Burlington MA (suunto cobra) - but my boyfriend found it 200.00 cheaper somewhere else. Unfortunately, they have a store credit only return policy (even though I bought it 4 days ago and haven't used it). So now I'm either out 200.00 or stuck with 638.00 in store credit. Does anyone want to trade me store credit for cash? I'll meet you at the shop and you can verify it's real? I could really use the 200.00 difference... like a lot.

I bought a dive computer at the Burlington Scuba shop in Burlington MA (suunto cobra) - but my boyfriend found it 200.00 cheaper somewhere else. Unfortunately, they have a store credit only return policy (even though I bought it 4 days ago and haven't used it). So now I'm either out 200.00 or stuck with 638.00 in store credit. Does anyone want to trade me store credit for cash? I'll meet you at the shop and you can verify it's real? I could really use the 200.00 difference... like a lot.

Was the place that had the item for $200. less an authorized dealer? That would explain the price difference.If from an unauthorized source then no manufacturer warranty.I think the list price of the cobra is around $850. so the if the LDS sold it to you for $638. you got a deal.

Leisure Pro is going to give it to me for 475.00. It comes with a limited 24 month warranty.

I saw your post on Craigslist, and can only suggest that you might have more luck if you split the difference. I wouldn't drive to Burlington for an equal exchange of cash for store credit, as there's nothing in it for me but inconvenience, but if I was in the market for gear (I'm not) I might be interested in buying a $638 store credit for $550.

Leisure Pro is going to give it to me for 475.00. It comes with a limited 24 month warranty.

In case you are not already aware, the warranty offered by LeisurePro is theirs, not the manufacturer. I don't know Suunto's policy, but other manufacturers will not service any equipment sold through unauthorized stores/resellers.

Was reading the thread and just thought I would opine in regards to buying outside of youre local dive shop to save a few bucks. I recently started another dive class at my lds. The economy has not been good for them in our area. I too have bought online, cheaper yes but found that when it comes down to it i end up bringing the stuff i bought online to them to fix or service. We really need to think about supporting our lds. Yes you can get things cheaper online. But, what happens when our lds's start closing. Where do you go for that good ole face to face advise, training, air fills etc? I personally have decided to buy local unless i cant get it. Sure it might be cheaper online, but next week you may notice that you may have spend 5 times that amount in gas just to get an air fill or a repair. And for the record, neither I nor does anyone in my family work or own a dive shop.

Also, Dive Shops have much more overhead expenses than say leisure pro and can not be as competitive on a large scale like LP.

LP buys 1000's of grey market and blemished although fully working items from close outs, store closing, and surplus etc. The local dive shops can not store that much inventory unless all diveshops suddenly became large warehouses. Dive shops are dictated by the mfg as to the minimum price while LP can give the stuff away for a dollar if they wanted.

I'd take the hit, keep the computer, and feel good you supported your local dive shop and get one with the fun of diving with that new computer.

Whats done is done and if you stew about it while diving, you mess up your diving; and thats not fun.

Good luck and enjoy that nice important piece of essential gear. It should serve you well if you learn it well.

Welcome to Scubaboard and the wonderful world of scuba diving and expensive equipment.

You're gonna find that will happen just about every time you go to purchase any gear. So I'd say do your homework thoroughly before making any purchases, especially large ones like that. Read return policies very carefully and ask questions if you don't understand the policy.

That's a bummer, but I'd say you should probably just chalk it up to a lesson learned. I've got a handful of stuff too that I can't return to my LDS either for one reason or another but oh well, now I have spares. I guess now you have to factor in if all the time & energy spent running around and trying to return/sell it is ultimately worth the savings you'd get from LP. You could always take it back, get your store credit and have a ton of 'free' air fills at your disposal.

Good luck which ever direction you go. Either way, you'll love the computer once you get used to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom