Burn Time of UK C8 eled, D8, LC100 w/NIMH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My LC100 goes for about 3.5 hours with 8 4500 mAh NiMh C-cells.

The LC100 uses a HID bulb. So, if you plan to turn the light on/off often, and if you think the light is going to get bumped often, the LC100 would not be a good choice.

ifukuda:
My LC100 goes for about 3.5 hours with 8 4500 mAh NiMh C-cells.
Thanks for that info - just saved me a burn test for my wife's light.

Interesting to note - when I charged my 4500 mAh NiMH batteries in my MAHA-C777 Plus charger (way too much toggling the Shift key to type all that out!), I charged the batteries in a 4 x C cell battery holder, in two batches. The first 4 batteries gave total voltage as 5.6V for the pack, and the second gave 5.5V. This kind of implies that the cells were charged to about 1.38-1.4V each, not the commonly quoted 1.2V for NiMH. Both packs started at about 5.3V per pack when near flat, which is still 1.325V or so. The cells are a generic green with "4500 mAh" printed down the side. I though all NiMH were 1.2V?

The 4 x C cell battery holders worked great for charging - just mate up the 9V style connector with the moveable terminals on the Maha. I might join two holders together and solder up a connection wire to charge them all at once in series. The holders cost less than $2 each. Pity that they probably can't be modified to work as a permanent pack I could just drop into the light instead of having to pull the individual batteries out each time - that would be a neat mod.

The light cannon worked flawlessly on them - not surprising if it's getting 11.1V instead of 9.6V, when it's designed for a nominal 12V with alkalines.

AustinB:
Thanks for all the help. I decided to get the 11000 incase I want to get the 30 watt bulb.
Please report how this works out. I'm planning to get some NiMH batteries for my D4. Where are you purchasing the batteries from?

The eLed C8 gives my over 8 hours on one set of akaline batteries. I do use scuba and do one night dive a week. The advantage of the eLed is that there is a voltage regulator inside so the light stays constant as the batteries lose voltage. On unregulated lights you have to swap out batteries before they are really dead or you have a dim light. So the eled can actually USE all the juise in a battery.

That said, last nigh my buddy had a light canon and I had a eLed C8. His light was MUCH brighter then mine although he was had problems with his light and mine is bulet proff and bright enough

My backup light is a little 4 cell, AAA size LED light. I let it on once in my dive bag for about 30 hours. It was dim but still going.

AustinB:
I am interested in these lights. However since I free dive and do not use tanks I tend to stay in the water up to 6 hours. I am curious if anyone has tested or used these lights with rechargable NIMH batteries.

C8 eled with 4500 or 5000 mAh
D8 14 watt or 30 watt with 9000, 9500, or 11000 mAh
Light Cannon 100 with 4500 or 5000 mAh

Would any of these light be able to last 6 hours on rechargable NIMH?

Thanks,

Austin

Batteries just do that. If you take them right off the charger and measure the voltage you will read the voltage of the charger. The charger has to supply a little bit more then the battery's voltage so current will flow. The battery voltage will come down _very_ quickly when in use or after some time just sitting and sef discharging. Basically the higher then expected voltage is gone in an instant after turnning on the light.

With lead/acid wet cells this effect is called "surface charge" I don't know is the reason is the same with NiMH

Scubaroo:
...The first 4 batteries gave total voltage as 5.6V for the pack, and the second gave 5.5V. This kind of implies that the cells were charged to about 1.38-1.4V each, not the commonly quoted 1.2V for NiMH. Both packs started at about 5.3V per pack when near flat, which is still 1.325V or so. The cells are a generic green with "4500 mAh" printed down the side. I though all NiMH were 1.2V?

Daryl Morse:
Please report how this works out. I'm planning to get some NiMH batteries for my D4. Where are you purchasing the batteries from?

Daryl,

I found that I get about 3 hours of run time for the 11000 maH batteries with the 30 watt bulb. I have not tested the run time with the 14 watt bulb yet. I got the batteries from Amondotech. I also order some 5000 maH C cells, but they sent me 4500 maH cells. The customer service was not very good and would not exchange them without me paying for shipping back. This was not exceptable to me and I got a refund for the price difference and will not be doing business with them again.

Hey, have you done this project that recharges 8 C cells at once. Please keep us updated.

Scubaroo:
The 4 x C cell battery holders worked great for charging - just mate up the 9V style connector with the moveable terminals on the Maha. I might join two holders together and solder up a connection wire to charge them all at once in series. The holders cost less than $2 each. Pity that they probably can't be modified to work as a permanent pack I could just drop into the light instead of having to pull the individual batteries out each time - that would be a neat mod.

The light cannon worked flawlessly on them - not surprising if it's getting 11.1V instead of 9.6V, when it's designed for a nominal 12V with alkalines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom